HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lara228

HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Post by lara228 »

Have received offers from both schools and am having sleepless nights trying to decide which to accept.

Financially, both offers are the same so that is not a factor.

Travel - HABS was in the lead but have now heard that MTS are going to start a bus service from my area too.

Academic outcome - both pretty much equal, not a factor

Facilities, buildings etc - MTS is really wonderful but HABS is hardly a dump

Pastoral care - I think MTS might be slightly ahead - really like their tutor group set-up where boys from all years are in a group together and stay together with the same teacher throughout their school life.

Music - my DS is very musical and music is an important part of his life. MTS seem to take it a bit more seriously, treating it almost as important as academic subjects, HABS seem to like having the music as part of school life but don't seem to promote it as a GCSE/A Level subject.

Lunches - much prefer proper school dinners at MTS to the cafeteria at HABS - given a free choice my DS will choose chips and rubbish everytime!!

Would be very grateful for any input from parents in the same position or who have been in this position recently - what swung your decision?

Thanks
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

You've answered MTS to every question. Your answer is in black and white!
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:You've answered MTS to every question. Your answer is in black and white!
I know but it's such a huge decision and I'm not very good at making them!!!! Suppose what I want is to hear a horror story about one or the other :?
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Don't listen to any horror stories. They're unlikely to be 100% true. As WFG says, you know it's MTS. Be brave and make the decision - good luck :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I would choose MTS over Habs if it was my son.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

DS is at Habs. I have no experience of MT so I can't comment on a comparison. All I can say is that we, parents and child, are extremely happy with Habs.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I remember our 'choice' dilemma well and almost wished that we had only had one option. That way we would have had to make the best of it and focus all our energy on being positive. We would also have felt less responsibility in the event that anything went wrong! You will hear good and bad things about all schools and MUST put them out of your mind, perhaps questioning the motives of the bearers of the news. Go with your gut and don't look back, ever. When DS comes home and grunts at you every day for a term, when his grades slip one term, when he is hideous and uncooperative as only teenagers can be don't for one minute that it is because you made the wrong choice. High school and young adulthood brings with it a number of challenges and for parents, perhaps the biggest ones for us as parents is learning that we cannot always make things right and accepting that it is not be our fault, or the school's or the child's. Good luck and, if you want my pennyworth, MTS. :D
mad?
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

If you look long enough and hard enough you'll find horror stories about most schools. My best advice is to go with your gut feeling. It sounds like you've already made your mind up... Other than the chips and rubbish choice in the canteen, what does your son feel about each of the schools?

I know boys at both schools, some absolutely delightful - others not so. Which head did you prefer? Which one gave you that comfortable feeling that he was there for the school and the boys - and that he and his staff would continue to strive to do the best for your son?

To be honest you really have made your mind up - be brave and accept the offer that your heart tells you is right for you, your son and your family.

Good luck xx
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sportsmum wrote:If you look long enough and hard enough you'll find horror stories about most schools. My best advice is to go with your gut feeling.
Good luck xx
haha snap! :lol:
mad?
svg123

Post by svg123 »

We in a similar situation as lara228.
Visiting the schools again this week before we make a decision.