Tommies admission year 8 - year9

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WorriedRuby

Tommies admission year 8 - year9

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,
Goodluck to all who are waiting for tomorrow's result, hope your dcs get their first Choice.

Sadly my ds did not get into Tommies.
He is in year 8 doing well in his current school , he is in top set in all the subjects.

He would really like to go to tommies. Does any one know whether tommies take children in y8 or y9?

thanks
mum23*

Re: Tommies admission year 8 - year9

Post by mum23* »

I am no expert and someone else will probably be able to say more but I do know that girls sit tests at HSFG for entry into other year groups so I am assuming it will be the same for Tommies. It would be best to contact the school and ask about when the test takes place for entry into later years.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi. If you look at the strs admission criteria on the glos school admissions webpage it shows there is provision for entry into later years. Not sure if this would apply though if he's already sat the 11+.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index ... eid=106389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As said above strs use tests
capers123

Post by capers123 »

stroudydad wrote:Hi. If you look at the strs admission criteria on the glos school admissions webpage it shows there is provision for entry into later years. Not sure if this would apply though if he's already sat the 11+.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index ... eid=106389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As said above strs use tests
Do so before Y10 - some schools are changing their admissions policy to say they won't take transfers in Y10/11 because they may be using a different GCSE exam board, or not be space in the subjects chosen. Of course, appeals panels can ignore that, but far better not to have to appeal if you can avoid it.

Anyway, chances are that the school is full, but will have less in the year than at the start of Y7, so you'd have a reasonable chance at an appeal (assuming he passes whatever test they set).
Capers
cairo

Post by cairo »

capers123 wrote: Anyway, chances are that the school is full, but will have less in the year than at the start of Y7, so you'd have a reasonable chance at an appeal (assuming he passes whatever test they set).
Actually, there are more boys in Y8 at Tommies than there were at the start of Y7, because a few extra boys started at the beginning of Y8, whereas only one had left during Y7. So the answer is: yes, the school does accept boys in Y8 and presumably in Y9 too. There is definitely some kind of test. I don't think it's a VR test though. The idea, I believe, is to ensure that anyone joining the school later on will be working at the same level as the average child already there. I'm sure if you ring the school office they will be able to fill you in on all the details.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

They may 'have taken' extra in the year, but if they're over PAN, it can only be via an appeal.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now