Watford Girls Grammar - next step?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Watford Girls Grammar - next step?

Post by Middlesexmum »

We have just heard that dd has got JFS (2nd on our list). We will probably take an indie place anyway but our first choice was Watford Grammar. How do I find out where she is on the waiting list? If I phone the school tomorrow will they be able to tell me?

Hoping for some advice from someone who's been through this before!
herty

Re: Watford Girls Grammar - next step?

Post by herty »

The school will tell you or it will be on the letter, not sure. One of dd's best friends was in exactly your situation last year! (Same schools.)

Hope it works out for you.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

A friend of mine's dd started at no 50 on the waiting list at Watford Grammar which doesn't sound very hopeful but within a couple of months she was no 11! She went to JFS in the end but it goes to show how much movement there is.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I managed to get through to the school this morning and found out dd is 434 on the list for location (we are in Stanmore so was expecting that) and 140 for academic test. This is obviously very low down but does anyone know, does it mean there is NO chance of a place?
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Given that there are only 45 academic places in total I think that there is probably very little, if any, chance of getting a place via the waiting list. :(

Alison
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Yes that's what I thought.

Does anyone know - on the academic waiting list, does it include girls from both the Watford area and the rest of the admission area? Are the Watford postcodes ranked higher on this list or is it purely in terms of test results?
decaff

Post by decaff »

Middlesex mum if you look at the sticky near top of topic page :school admission statistics it will tell you how much movement in waiting lists there has been for test scores over last few years. This should give you a realistic idea if you have any chance under academic route. I assume living in Stanmore you will need to look at the outer area scores. Music scores are also included in statistics. Good luck
Jojo2000

Post by Jojo2000 »

My dd got Parmiters which was our second choice. WGSG was our first choice. I rang WGSG this morning and was told that she is no 367 on distance list (we live in Watford)and no 54 on the academic list. The lady said a letter has today been sent to me and I needed to complete the yellow slip and return to the school if I want to be on the continued interest list. I am not holding out much hope as we have to give an answer to the indie schools by 7th March!

I am now having to decide between Parmiters, SAHS and St Helens where dd is currently at junior school.

Does anyone have any experience of Parmiters?
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Jojo2000 wrote:My dd got Parmiters which was our second choice. WGSG was our first choice. I rang WGSG this morning and was told that she is no 367 on distance list (we live in Watford)and no 54 on the academic list. The lady said a letter has today been sent to me and I needed to complete the yellow slip and return to the school if I want to be on the continued interest list. I am not holding out much hope as we have to give an answer to the indie schools by 7th March!

I am now having to decide between Parmiters, SAHS and St Helens where dd is currently at junior school.

Does anyone have any experience of Parmiters?
That is quite interesting as WGGS is usually very slightly easier to get into than Parmiters. My DD got into WGGS in 2009 (second choice) and was 23rd on the academic for Parmiters.

Obviously switched around this year.

Oh Parmiters is excellent, I have several friends with kids there and they all love it, very good on pastoral care as well as outstanding academic and sporting results.
tense

Post by tense »

Jojo2000

If you search my posts you will see how often I rave about Parmiter's - I have DC in yrs 7 & 10. It's a great school & presumably you are local so why pay to go elsewhere?? :D :D If there is anything particular you would like to know, please PM me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now