Bexley Grammar Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sambridge

Bexley Grammar Appeal

Post by Sambridge »

Hi, my daughter missed the Bexley test by one point and we have been advised by several people to appeal to Bexley Grammar as this is the school she really wanted to go to. Her primary school has given us their full backing as she has consistently been a high achiever and is working at a level 5 at the moment, she already has a sibling there and the school is two minutes walk from my house. I am after advice about...well, any of it really! Thank you.
Etienne

Re: Bexley Grammar Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Have a careful look at the Q&As first, and please come back to us with any specific questions.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Sambridge

Post by Sambridge »

Thanks I have read all of that but wondered if anyone had been through it personally with Bexley Grammar recently, also whether they would take into account the sibling and distance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Once you've been through the Q&As, the only questions likely to arise are specific ones.

The most recent appeals are likely to have been in the middle of last year (most such appeals take place in the summer term).

However, appeals tend to be more or less the same everywhere, because they all have to abide by the Code of Practice. One difference is in how strict panels tend to be - and unfortunately previous reports on here suggest that appeals in Bexley are far from easy to win.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

whether they would take into account the sibling and distance.
They should indeed.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both points are worth making as part of your case - but it is up to the individual panel how much weight to give them.
Etienne
Sambridge

Post by Sambridge »

Great, thank you.
Sambridge

Post by Sambridge »

Just got confirmation of my daughter's secondary school, not the one she wanted, typical, she is devastated, now I need to get the ball rolling with the appeal to Bexley Grammar, where do i start? I am totally confused, do I send all of the letters and evidence to the appeal board before the actual appeal? my head is spinning with it all.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Contact the admission authority (in this instance the school) for an appeal form.

http://www.bexleygs.co.uk/information.asp?l=3&p=74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Sambridge,

First accept the school you have been offered.

Second, if it is not Townley, then get on that waiting list NOW. Townley has had a problem filling in places in recent years and offers go out to girls 1 or 2 marks away.

Third, you face a long, uphill struggle at appeal with BGS. Distance means nothing. Sibling means nothing.
However, if can prove beyond doubt that she is suitable for grammar education, ie she was at level 5B across the board at the time of taking the 11+, you will stand a chance.

Feel free to pm me if you need help/advice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now