Dilemma:KECH vs KES

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Qiqi

Dilemma:KECH vs KES

Post by Qiqi »

I have a bit of a dilemma here because DS has got a place at both KES with minor scholarship and KECH place. Could anyone advise me on what everyone suggests for DS?
hermanmunster

Re: Dilemma:KECH vs KES

Post by hermanmunster »

Depends on all sorts of factors (and has been discussed here many times as you can imagine)

Need to consider

Distance

Cost - fees go up each year, university costs a lot after they finish school, how many other children do they have to educate

Subjects - what does KES do the KECH doesn;t and vice versa

Which did they like best?

KES do IB in 6th form - doesn't suit everyone - what does KECH do?
Stevehopkins

Post by Stevehopkins »

And please don't forget, what does your child want!!
um

Post by um »

Hmmm- I wouldn't actually take any notice of what my 10 or 11 year old child wanted.

They are far too young at that age to be trusted with such life changing decisions.

My ds1 wanted BV as first choice because he enjoyed disecting a pig's heart there on open day. Ds2 wanted QM because he got on well with the boy who showed him around.

I took no notice whatsoever of them and they are both now happy that they have CH places.

By all means sit and weigh up the options and sketch out what is important to you - and of course, view the schools again, but I wouldn't attach much importance to the opinion of a small child. What on earth did we know when we were thaat age? I didn't have a clue... They will change their minds again next week!

I would however note that distance is a big factor and heavy communting, especially if it involves lots of changes, can be very draining.
Stevehopkins

Post by Stevehopkins »

Best approach would be to do a SWOT analysis. In simplified terms, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. We use all the time at work for all situations.

The family can do this with a scoring system and decide what is best based on an objective method of reasoning. It is obviously your choice as to how much weighting you give to child's opinion on the matter.

Best of luck.

For me personally it boiled down to IB. My son is not IB friendly. For others it may be something else.
ok1

Post by ok1 »

As Stevehopkins mentioned its all personal preferences, and for us, one of the factors that we found was strongly in favour of KES was the preference to iGCSE and IB.

For us if money was no object I would send DS to KES, as we feel it to be the best fit for him, but once money comes into the equation, we would need to reassess. The key question is what price do you put on what you feel KES will give you that your alternative will not provide.

If we were faced with the choice of our local comp, ranked unconditionally as one of the worst in the borough and the option of KES on full fees then the value of what KES will offer is significantly increased, as will the consideration of the offer.

If however we were faced with the choice of KECH and the option of KES on full fees then we would choose KECH. If KES offered a discount then the critical decision point that will push you towards one or another will vary from each person depending on a range of factors already mentioned in the posts above – everyone will have their own decision point.

Get your thoughts on a piece of paper via the SWOT analysis mentioned above, it may help to declutter your head.

Good luck
Stevehopkins

Post by Stevehopkins »

Also bear in mind that some of the KE grammar schools also do iGCSE, not sure which ones though, check their web site of course.
As one poster has pointed out earlier, this year will be the first time IB results get posted from KES.
Helena

Post by Helena »

We are in a similar position. I have been trying to get an insiders view of KES - I already have DS1 at CHB. I am particularly concerned about pastoral care at KES.

CHB does iGCSE.

Helena
Qiqi

Post by Qiqi »

Thanks for the replies but I forgot to mention:my DS has considerable AP too. :lol:
AtoZ

Post by AtoZ »

Hello all, this is my first time posting but am a frequent browser.

We're in a similar dilemma. My DS has been offered a place in KES and KECHB. My DD attends KEHS (thru a small scholarship). We're trying to compare the two schools, but find that although KES markets itself quite well, we don't know that much about KECHB.

Does anyone know what are the class sizes? I had mistakenly assumed that as there was a smaller intake at CHB, this would mean smaller classroom sizes only to be told that there are less forms. Is this true? And what extra curricular activities do CHB offer? What is the workload at CHB like? Do they go through a lot of exams? :?

Although my DS has got into CHB, I worry that he may have just 'squeaked' through and wonder if he can cope with the workload. I have heard that they get a whole extra years worth crammed into just the homework?

My other concern is, with my DD at KEHS - she is experiencing lots of new wonderful and different oppurtunities, clubs, trips, wider interests, etc. Although DS first choice has always been CHB, I don't want him to hear her going on about her experiences and feel that he's missed out...

Very confused :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now