How to choose between NLCS and DAO (unfortunately!)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

How to choose between NLCS and DAO (unfortunately!)

Post by BarnetDad »

So the trickiest situation has arisen and we can choose between DAO and NLCS.

At the moment the consensus is weakly towards NLCS. Here's a list of things

In favour of NLCS:
- Small class sizes
- Better pastoral care
- More focussed attention on the child (similar to small class size, but not the same)
- Better drama
- Gymnastics better (sure, DAO has potential Olympians, but that's nothing to do with the school!)

In favour of DAO:
- Better sport
- Cheaper (which means better holidays)
- Easier to get to (for us)
- Fewer obnoxious parents?!

Neutral:
- Single-sex vs Mixed (there are pro's and con's to both)
tense

Re: How to choose between NLCS and DAO (unfortunately!)

Post by tense »

Well done to your DD.

I am assuming money is no object (or at least, it's affordable for your family). In that case, which does your DD prefer?
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Money IS an object! We can afford NLCS, but it would result in compromises elsewhere. At HBS, we're probably in the top 20% of wealthy parents. At NLCS, we'd be in the bottom 20%!
tense

Post by tense »

In that case I'd go for HBS (unless DD hates it). But take absolutely no notice of me at all - I'm sure you will make the decision that's right for your family. There is no wrong choice here!
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Now don't go confusing me with HBS! I think we've managed to rule out HBS....
Dolcelatte

Post by Dolcelatte »

BarnetDad well done on your DD getting her offers. I have been trying to work out which school DAO is - can you tell me?!

We have also been offered NLCS so have done some homework. The class sizes are between 25 and 26 in the first couple of years then in year 9 they fall to around 22.
umm

Post by umm »

Which does your DD want? Which can she see herself at?
new2me

Post by new2me »

Should you decide on NLCS, fortunately they an support non standard entry points as well as at 11. Will DD1 be applying for a place at NLCS so she can also benefit from smaller class sizes, better pastoral care etc?
tense

Post by tense »

BarnetDad wrote:Now don't go confusing me with HBS! I think we've managed to rule out HBS....
Whoops, sorry, I was reading so many posts last night I got confused!

Dolcelatte - DAO is Dame Alice Owens in Potters Bar, an absolutely fab school.
workhard

Post by workhard »

Hi Barnetdad! Congratulations to your DD2! ... Has she surprised you?

Firstly, it is great position to be in.

Secondly, and most importantly, DD2 will be happy and do well at any leading school. She may well have grown as a character and may well be stronger at this stage than you expected.

We were in a comparable position two years ago: NLCS, Channing, HBS and a couple of back up Indy offers. A lot evolved in my mind between October and March. But the strongest influence was observing our DD at the three schools on subsequent visits. ... I appreciate you will be under time pressure, but I would collect three or four offers, visit those schools agin and then decide from DD2's viewpoint. ... And then the money!

You mentioned Channing as the favourite not long ago. What happened? Assuming your friend Oliver Blond from HBS contacts you soon, for me there are two distinct pairs of choices: NLCS v HBS and Channing v DAO. Why? Because NLCS/ HBS have the most academic girls across the board, with an emphasis on personal ambition and self reliance, and Channing/ DAO are, overall,, gentler environments. Your experience with DD1 at HBS not withstanding - and it is the only negative Of that type I have heard from the many HBS parents I know - it is the culture of a school which counts and not any pastoral system or resource. NLCS is a clinical machine and very good at it. For what it is worth, we found HBS much more human. And a younger sibling is generally smarter about relationships and a separate individual anyway, so may well have a different initial experience.

My guess is that your DD2 is a strong character and talented academically. HBS or NLCS may well suit her best.

So I hope you get the HBS offer and go and let her meet some Year 7s at all these schools, properly this time. Two girls at HBS will mean convenient transport and companionship from day one. Given your work in the school community, may be a bit of influence at HBS as well.

NLCS is a very fine school, but I would say less compassionate than HBS and with the social balance which money begets. Your money will buy you a bit of something at Uni entrance time, but your DD2 may not need it. The HBS girls are increasingly doing very well without it, too.

DAO? ... I would not consider a partially selective if I had a fully selective's offer - I really believe that a uniformly bright or brighter peer group is a great gift to grow up with and should not be underestimated.

Anyhow, good luck and many congratulations to your DD2. .... What does DD1 feel about all this?

WH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now