Are fees negotiable ? (EHS)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WoolEyes

Are fees negotiable ? (EHS)

Post by WoolEyes »

I have a daughter who will start at Edgbaston High School in year 4. She will take a test and then start in Sept 2012. I'd like to know if the school offers fee reductions for payment up-front for a whole year/two years etc. Does anyone have any experience of this or any other advice on the best way to negotiate a fee reduction?

Many Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Are fees negotiable ? (EHS)

Post by hermanmunster »

some schools offer reductions for up front payment but tends to have to be more years than 2 ... some pay 4 or 5 years and get a discount.
At indies the quoted fee is usually for three termly payments - tend to a slight supplement if you pay monthly (sometimes) - but not sure about a discount for the whole year - may be better to hang onto the money and pay it each term.
WoolEyes

Post by WoolEyes »

Thanks for that.

Not sure holding onto the money in the current climate of VERY low interest rates will make it grow much. However getting a good fee reduction for up-front payment may be more prudent. If I asked for a 20% reduction for an up-front payment for 3 years, would I be shown the door, or given a nice cup of tea and a pen to write out a cheque?

Thanks for replies.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hmm suspect 20% might be a bit hopeful - last I heard on this was about 5% at most ... there was a thread about this recently

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... s&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- someone was offered 3%!

have to remember also that the fees in 3 years time may be quite a bit higher than now as they go up 3-6% per annum.
WoolEyes

Post by WoolEyes »

Thanks Hermann, that link was useful. I think I'll be bold and make some kind of proposal and play it by ear thereafter.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Let us know how you get on!

If no luck then could always leave the money in premium bonds - never know they might just solve all the school fee problems...