How the 12+ and 13+ work?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cosmos

How the 12+ and 13+ work?

Post by Cosmos »

We live in North London and seems like the relatively nearby grammar schools do not have 12+ or 13+ admission test as the indies do.
For instance DAO, Latymer and QE boys.
Does anyone know a bit more about it? Thanks
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

maybe the grammar has another system of later entry. It may be they check the childs levels, school work and recommendations from the last teacher. If you phone the grammar school they will probably be happy to tell you :)
zee

Post by zee »

You'll probably get more of a response if you post in the section for the relevant region (even though it's not actually 11+ you're asking about) - Herts?
moose

Post by moose »

QE doe not take on new pupils to 6th form. Latymer does i think around 50/60 kids. There's an exam. Ratio : 8 pupils per place. Do not know about other schools.
Cosmos

Post by Cosmos »

Dear moose, do you mean Latymer takes 50/60 kids for yr 8 and beyond?
As I think to my knowledge, they keep a waiting list until yr 8 from the kids that were closer to get places from the 11+ tests?
Could you clarify more pls?
many thanks
leanmeamum

Re: How the 12+ and 13+ work?

Post by leanmeamum »

I would be very interested to know as well if 12+ or 13+ exists in Latymer, QE, etc.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of these schools could you Please help?
lastminutemum

Post by lastminutemum »

If there are vacancies in a particular year beyond year 7, QE may decide to fill the vacancies by holding an exam and those who score highest will be offered a place. I do not know if they do this if there is just one vacancy (QE may not consider it worthwhile), however I do know of someone who sat for 1 of 3 (I think) vacancies in year 9 but was unsuccessful.
Cosmos

Post by Cosmos »

If after the 11+ if you keep your kid on the waiting list for QE, they will call for a test to start in Y8 in the following January but they only offer 1 place and they're around 30 children siting that test (Maths and English). If your kid achieves the minimum score acceptable for them to keep it on the waiting list, they call you for a test again to join in Y9.

I hope this helps