hypothetical - Indie offer v waitlist grammar

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

daisyduke

hypothetical - Indie offer v waitlist grammar

Post by daisyduke »

hello everyone - my 1st post! Just joined as DS in yr 5 at a state primary, and considering applying in autumn for Watford Grammar and other local good state schools, plus Merchant Taylors. Think I'm getting the hang of the timetable of it all. One question though - what happens if you miss out on top state choice 1st time and are on a continuing interest list for a good state grammar like Watford on Mar 1st, but you have to answer an indie who's offered a place? What kind of deadline are you guys being given for indies this year? many thanks
hermanmunster

Re: hypothetical - Indie offer v waitlist grammar

Post by hermanmunster »

In the whole indies wait until just after March 1st, though some may try pestering you before then. They are fewer in number and best ignored.

However after March 1st it may be that you have to decide whether you

a) definitely want the indie and forget the GS (expensive)

b) want the GS and don;t want to commit to term / half terms fees deposit etc (risky)

c) pay the Indie and wait until gets place at GS and then decide (least risk - involves paying some money but nt as much as 7 years. at Indie and guarantees you will have a place somewhere)
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Based on this year's timetable - indie offers from all the main schools came out on 23 February, most by post, one or two use email. Scholarship/bursary acceptances must be received by Monday 5 March, fee-paying acceptances by Wednesday 7 March. As State selective offers came out on 1 March, this gives just a few days from receiving State offers to having to decide what action to take. There is always the option of paying the deposit to an Independent if you are on the waiting list for your preferred selective and keeping fingers crossed that the selective comes through - but you will lose your deposit.
maddad

Post by maddad »

Given the timescales this year, it could definitely happen that you have an offer from an indie which you need to confirm/reject before you know whether you get into a GS from the waiting list.

In that case, I wouldn't have hesitated to accept the indie offer and risk losing my deposit (around £1000). Better than having lost your indie option if the GS waiting list place didn't come through.
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

thank you guys that's really helpful. I'd guessed that might be the case but it's really good to have it all confirmed, especially when there's that kind of money at stake!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now