Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CaptainCaveman

Help

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Deleted
Last edited by CaptainCaveman on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: Help for DD yr 5

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi and welcome !

the order of schools on the CAF should really be the schools in the order you want them so if she wants Handsworth then put that first. However if you have an inkling for CHB and want to put that first then you can and put Hansdworth second - it will make no difference to her chance of Handsworth if she does not get CHB as the allocations are purely on score and being offered the first school in you list for whichyou are elgible.

Re knowing the score - all you can do is have a guess when compared with previous years ... can change over time. You do not know how many people there are above you or how many of them have put other schools (or KEHS) first on the CAF.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

You mean CHG, not CHB? :)

She doesn't like CHG but I feel it would be remiss of me not to put it down. Thank you for your help. I might put down CHG first in that case, followed by Hansdworth. Unfortunately we live too far away from the other good state girls secondaries like Kings Norton Girls. I know KEHS is very competitive so doubt she would make it there, EHS could be a back up I suppose but not entirely convinced of that school. Just have to go through the Birmingham Schools information to find other schools to make up the preference number and keep our fingers crossed.
Camphillian

Post by Camphillian »

CaptainCaveman wrote:You mean CHG, not CHB? :)

She doesn't like CHG but I feel it would be remiss of me not to put it down. Thank you for your help. I might put down CHG first in that case, followed by Hansdworth. Unfortunately we live too far away from the other good state girls secondaries like Kings Norton Girls. I know KEHS is very competitive so doubt she would make it there, EHS could be a back up I suppose but not entirely convinced of that school. Just have to go through the Birmingham Schools information to find other schools to make up the preference number and keep our fingers crossed.
Putting CHG first would affect her chance of getting into Handsworth if she achieves a high enough score for CHG!! She will be offered one place only - at CHG - and her hard work will just have achieved her a place at a school she doesn't like. You would then have to appeal for Handsworth and run a very real risk that the panel will not uphold your appeal. Why put you and your DD through all that when you can just put Handsworth first and leave CHG off the form altogether - as you say, if she doesn't get Handsworth she will not get CHG, so you won't have lost anything by doing that.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Deleted
Last edited by CaptainCaveman on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Put them in the order you want them. If you don't want to send her to CHG, don't put it on the form. Academically there's little to choose between them, why do you feel you "ought" to put it down?

It's impossible to know how getting test results in advance will affect qualifying scores, but you will at least have a clue as to whether or not you're wasting your time.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now