Would it be reasonable to ask a High School...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

Would it be reasonable to ask a High School...

Post by katel »

...what % of their cohort they expect to start school already working at Level 5? and even if it mis reasonable to ask, do you think they would tell me?
mitasol

Re: Would it be reasonable to ask a High School...

Post by mitasol »

You should be able to get a very good idea from the performance tables for last year.
http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... erview=sec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to open the the link to the high school you are interested in and scroll down to the average KS2 points of the pupils. Just below the KS2 points you can locate the percentage of high, middle and low attainers.

If that is still not enough information I'm sure you can ask.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katel

Post by katel »

No- this is two separate things. We're appealing, but not expecting to get anywhere, so preparing for high school life. I am just interested to know what sort of an academic peer group he'll have. Not something I intend to bring up at the appeal!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

katel wrote:No- this is two separate things. We're appealing, but not expecting to get anywhere, so preparing for high school life. I am just interested to know what sort of an academic peer group he'll have. Not something I intend to bring up at the appeal!
It looks as though some of those secondary modern schools do better by their high achievers than they do by their middle and low achievers. That is quite surprising to me: it seems they fail the students they are supposed to serve but do pretty well by students who were more suited to the grammars. But it's hopefully encouraging for you in the event your appeal is unsuccessful.

I imagine most of the students who do well at GCSE at a secondary modern would move on to one of the grammars for sixth form?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Firstly, not all students and a grammar will have level 5s across the board when they go in. Even where we are, with super selectives, they don't.

Secondly, a fair number of students even at quite poorly achieving schools like the one I work in will have one or more 5s on intake. Go to a slightly 'better' school and there will be many who have 5s...I have several friends whose children did not sit the eleven plus because of ideological or practical objections and who are very clever indeed.

Thirdly, remember that 5s aren't everything, and that not all clever kids get them.

Finally, remember you haven't lost the appeal yet!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

katel, DD is at a high school in Bucks (so GS area but not super-selective) and I would say around one-third to one-half of her (top) set in English and maths got level 5s. Not very many got a 5 in science.

Purely anecdotal I know, but may be of some (vague) interest :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:katel, DD is at a high school in Bucks (so GS area but not super-selective) and I would say around one-third to one-half of her (top) set in English and maths got level 5s. Not very many got a 5 in science.

Purely anecdotal I know, but may be of some (vague) interest :D
How on earth do you know? Unless the school publishes this stuff...which I have never come across . I have no idea what any other children at my kids' schools got in Year 6 SATs. Perhaps this is the topic of conversation at all those school dinner dances some people go to. :wink:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Because I grill every child DD has ever brought through the door (most of them only come to our house once, bizarrely), then hang round at the school gates asking the others. Any DC who looks at me a little weirdly and tries to get away, I mark down as level 4 or below.