Books/websites for preparation in 2012 and future years

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anxious_mother

Books/websites for preparation in 2012 and future years

Post by anxious_mother »

Dear Moderators,
I was thinking it would be nice for all of us to post here all the information. regarding what books we used or what websites we followed to help us in the 11+ journey since most of the parents including myself did not get clear replies when we asked the above questions. I am aware of the fact that you would say look through the various posts or the website here but it is a tedious process for some to spend a long time searching all the posts.
Each person has a unique way of preparation and it would be wonderful to see what books they used because I'm sure no 2 people would have followed the same method/pattern.
Hope I'm not asking for something forbidden :o .

What say Yoyo and KenR.
yoyo123

Re: Books/websites for preparation in 2012 and future years

Post by yoyo123 »

I'lll ask the others in the dungeon what they think, there is something similar for Kent
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Thanks a lot Yoyo,
lot of parents and kids in Birmingham will benefit. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you seen this
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... er-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it gives a bit of an idea of what you are up against
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Have seen this Yoyo,
but what most parents are looking for is how to start and which books to follow. I know there is no standard order but if some parents can be kind enough to share their step-by-step approach if allowed then it could be posted under one stick rather than them(prospective parents) having to search around and missing some important info.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'm not in the Birmingham area, but I think this would be a very useful approach for all areas. There is so much material out there, so many websites etc. and it can all seem overwhelming. A step by step/ a rota, or the like, of the sorts of papers or websites or whatever, would be so helpful, to enable families to keep on track (or know if they're falling behind) with the whole process.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The trouble is that it's horses for courses - what may be good for 1 family or child may not be the best approach for another family.

For example, for families where english is not the 1st language spoken at home I would probably recommend spending a greater proportion of time on vocabularly and the precise meaning of words as synonyms and antonyms usually feature strongly in the exam. I would maybe even try to device techniques and games where the whole family can contribute.

There are a number of EFL Cloze webites which(mentioned in previous posts), whilst not being exactly the same format at the exam, might help the child to develop an understanding of language and word context.

Similarly a child that was an advanced reader (reading age 14+) may not need to spend as much time on vocabularly but may need to work on maths.
rhaeela

Post by rhaeela »

I found one of the most usefull website to my Ds was Bond online. it is a lot of testing the child but gives feedback on incorrect answers and also gives reedback on weakness in subjects and what areas thet should conentrate on.
rhaeela

Post by rhaeela »

sorry about the spelling mistakes, i am still i bit hypher as my DS got in to his first choice KEAS. :lol:
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Thanks for the reply KenR,
What you say is perfectly true that what is good for one may not be for the other but at least if each parent can express how they approached 11+ it will give an idea to new people.