Finding out your childs result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jjmumoftwo

Finding out your childs result

Post by jjmumoftwo »

I was wondering if you get to find out the results in schools your child didn't get into. My DS was lucky to get a place in one of the grammars. He passed all of them and since accepting his place, we have now been told his results from Sutton Grammar, I didn't think they gave you this information unless you didn't pass. I wanted to know if anyone has since had the results of their pass scores from Wallington or Wilsons. It would be handy to know that if his choice had been different, what was the likelihood of him being offered a place elsewhere.
bugsbunny

Re: Finding out your childs result

Post by bugsbunny »

In normal situations, if your DS was not successful in getting a place in any of the grammar schools, the school always send you the scores (incl breakdowns) in a letter.
jjmumoftwo wrote:I was wondering if you get to find out the results in schools your child didn't get into. My DS was lucky to get a place in one of the grammars. He passed all of them and since accepting his place, we have now been told his results from Sutton Grammar, I didn't think they gave you this information unless you didn't pass. I wanted to know if anyone has since had the results of their pass scores from Wallington or Wilsons. It would be handy to know that if his choice had been different, what was the likelihood of him being offered a place elsewhere.
jjmumoftwo

Post by jjmumoftwo »

So has anyone whose DS passed had results from Wallington or Wilsons?
medsol

Post by medsol »

jjmumoftwo, did your DS get offered a place at Sutton Grammar and also get the exam results breakdown? My DS was offered a place, but we only got an email stating he did exceptionally well, but no marks were given to us.

DS also passed Wisons and Wallington but had no marks sent through.

Thanks
cakemummy

Post by cakemummy »

My DS was offered a place at Wallington but we have not been told his score.
admissionslady

Post by admissionslady »

We give the scores where a child has passed the test but has been offered a higher preference school, just as a courtesy. We don't try to lure them away!

We don't give a breakdown of scores where a child has been made an offer of a place - we like the boys to join on an equal footing.

There is a loophole here if boys who have an offer at a higher preference school ask to go on our waiting list and are subsequently made an offer of a place, as they will know their scores. But we haven't had a lot of that this year
jjmumoftwo

Post by jjmumoftwo »

Thanks admissionslady - my DS got a place at a higher preference school. It would be nice to hear how he got on at all of them, but I do understand why they are not told their scores for the school they have chosen. He passed Sutton by 7 points, it would be interesting to know if this would have meant a guaranteed place there too.
scenebutnotherd

Post by scenebutnotherd »

The other loophole, Admissions Lady, is if a child has managed to secure a place from the waiting list. We know that our DS got a score of 333 and so does he. Although as he had to wait for a place (but not for long) I am sure he has worked out that he did not obtain a top score pass, so not sure he will be using bragging rights....

Not sure what the pass mark was - was it 325 or 326? But DS obviously got the same score as at least 7 others, as at least one boy with the same score got an offer on 1st March and on that date our DS was 6th on the waiting list (arranged by proximity to the school when scores are equal). For all we know there might have been other boys living further away who were below DS on the list but with the same score too...

Not entirely sure that it's always helpful to know "what might have been". A score difference of one, two, three points twixt boys is neither here nor there in the scheme of things. And I'm sure I've read somewhere that there is no inherent correlation twixt 11+ scores and educational outcomes. Also quite possible that someone who passed the 11+ but sadly does not obtain a sought-after grammar school place might end up doing better in the end.

We have a friend whose DS missed out on grammar school places some eight years ago (although he passed his 11+ exams), went to a semi-selective comp and came out with flying colours and trumped many of his
privately/grammar educated friends in his exams and his Uni place!
jjmumoftwo

Post by jjmumoftwo »

scenebutnotherd

Obviously it appears that my son with a score of 333 was borderline from what you were saying, and he may have secured a place based on distance if that was his choice. I know its only a partial indication of anything including future success but its nice to know roughly where he was in the scoring.

Out of interest how did the boy who got offered a place on 1st March find out his score?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now