Getting Ready for Bucks Late Transfer Appeal (into year 8)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KT36

Getting Ready for Bucks Late Transfer Appeal (into year 8)

Post by KT36 »

Hi all

I'm pretty certain I will need to appeal for a place for my DS to get a place in GS for late transfer into year 8. I've read the info on the appeals page (very helpful, thanks), but can some one let me know where I can get details of the year sizes over the past few years for each GS? I'm trying to find out whether certain GS have had more than the PAN in any particular year so that I can use the argument that the school is not affected by an additional pupil (if that makes sense).

Thanks

KT
Last edited by KT36 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marylou

Re: Getting Ready for Bucks Late Transfer Appeal (into year

Post by Marylou »

This information can indeed be quite useful, and we presented a similar argument in the first part of our oversubscription appeal several years ago. You can get the figures from the annual census returns here: https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... n_roll.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add: the school will probably respond by saying that they had to take the extra numbers because of successful appeals. We pointed out that the GCSE results for a particularly crowded year 11 didn't seem to have suffered. This kind of argument is useful in "chipping away" at the council's case so that the panel is more inclined to allow at least some of the cases in stage 2 if it thinks the year group can cope with more pupils - however do remember that this point is just as likely to benefit another appellant's case as your own!
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The annual census takes place in January and we usually see the numbers in April or early May. Current numbers for all year groups will also be included in your appeal documentation.
KT36

Post by KT36 »

This is brilliant and just what I wanted (I know it doesn't mean a great deal at the moment.. but nice to see our preferred GS has taken over the 150 regularly!).

KT :)
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Marylou wrote:This information can indeed be quite useful, and we presented a similar argument in the first part of our oversubscription appeal several years ago. You can get the figures from the annual census returns here: https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... n_roll.asp
Hi there, does anyone know if this information has been released for the 2012 figures yet?

thanks

KT36
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It'll be posted on that page when it is.
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Ok, thanks. I'll keep trying the link :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You'll get the up-to-date figures with your appeal papers, if it comes to that.

It would be worth checking GCSE results against Year 11 cohorts as well.

Also check whether they have 'grown' the sixth form recently. They can't say they have no space if they choose to take more!
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Guest55 - what would you class as 'growing' the sixth form? Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look back at the oldest data on Year 12 and 13 numbers - were there a lot more in the sixth form in 2011?

The school does NOT have to offer extra places in the sixth form - they do it because they get money for each pupil. If the numbers are more than 10% higher then I think they have grown their Sixth Form deliberately!

No school who really does have accommodation issues would do this imho.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now