KS2

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

faitaccompli

KS2

Post by faitaccompli »

We are moving from Beds to Bucks on 10th March - my DS starts new school in Marlow on 17th April and will be sitting his SATS in May. Coming from the indie sector, he has not done any preparation for this. I found in my shed when I was clearing out some KS2 Letts tests (I bought them when he was 5 - they were doing three for the price of one and I bought KS1, 2 and 3 all at the same time - knew they would come in handy one day ...)

Anyway. We briefly went through the maths one which was fine - no problem. There were areas of science which he had not covered but only a few. having said that , we only looked at one paper, so there is obviously going to be other areas which we have missed.

The English is going to be a pain.

So - my questions are:

The papers I bought are Letts ones and are at least 5 years old. Are they still relevant?
Is there anywhere which says in easy to understand format what topics they are meant to have covered for SATS
Do they really have to do short stories and long stories in the English paper?
Do they sit all the papers on the same day?
Who marks them and allocates the levels?

I know they are supposedly not that important as he has qualified for a Bucks GS, but I didn't think KS1 was that important, and clearly it is used as a reference point even now. So I would like him to do as well as he can, but am concerned that he has been working towards a totally different curriculum for the past 4 years.

Thanks for any input anyone can offer!
yoyo123

Re: KS2

Post by yoyo123 »

no science sats anymore!

There is a reading paper, short writing task (with spelling task) and longer writing task for English.

Maths is paper A ( no calculator), Maths B (calculator) and a mental maths paper.

look here for past papers, there will be a marking scheme too.

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Fiddlesticks - can't we get rid of the English paper and bring back the Science one .... ?

Thanks for your help - very glad I asked now!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

is this KS2 or KS3 you are looking at?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

KS2 :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Writing is teacher assessed this year but I understand that many schools are still doing the externally marked papers.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll move this to KS2 fait accompli
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

The emaths site is fab - downloaded a couple of trees worth of tests and letting have a stab at those.

What scores are reqired to get level 5a/b/c etc? Or is it like the 11+ where they are stanardised, based around a maximum number of children scoring the top mark etc?

Thaks :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The marking scheme will give you a level, the scores are in bands. You add up the total marks and then check to see what level this falls in.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I have the document that gives the questions, and the one that gives the answers - but there is nothing (I assume I am looking at it but can't see it!) that gives the bands. Can you please point me in the right direction!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now