Appeal - Not grammar school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chai

Appeal - Not grammar school

Post by Chai »

I have friend who has asked me to post this:

Her DD did not make grammar school. But they were also not allocated any school on their CAF application. They are Catholics.

Their schools included 2 catholic schools which rejected her daughter's application. They are quite puzzled because the other children in her DD's class who did not take the 11+ managed to enter these schools (DD and these children come from a catholic primary school). They are sure that one of these catholic schools is not part of the Consortium of Grammar Schools and so they had thought that if she had failed the 11+, she would have entered this school anyway. (hope this is clear).

My friend believes that somehow, their DD's baptism certificate, which was lodged after the closing date for their schools application, was disregarded at the time of allocation, and that this led to their daughter being discriminated against in their school application.

Can they appeal and if so, on what grounds?
Etienne

Re: Appeal - Not grammar school

Post by Etienne »

I would have thought she should establish the facts by contacting the school and finding out exactly why her application was unsuccessful. (If she was too late in providing the documentation to establish she's a catholic, and the school was oversubscribed, she may well have lost out.)

Even if there has been no maladministration, she can try appealing on the basis of why she wants a place at the school.
Q&As, C2.
Etienne
Chai

Post by Chai »

Thank you Etienne. I am a bit slow on this. I would be grateful if you could clarify this:

She should apply on
1. Maladminstration and
2. why she wants the school (is that over subscription?)

Many thanks for your advice.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I would have thought that maladministration would come in if say the certificate was submitted on time and then perhaps lost or ignored in the allocation process.

If they missed the deadline or there is some other reason why she is not allocated a place eg distance or whatever then it becomes and oversub appeal and you have to say why the school is the right one for her.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

She should apply on
1. Maladminstration and
2. why she wants the school (is that over subscription?)
No. 2 - yes.
No. 1 - as Herman says, only if it can be shown that the admission authority failed to follow the published admission arrangements, as a result of which the child was deprived of a place to which she would otherwise have been entitled. The facts need to be established!
Etienne
Chai

Post by Chai »

I am not sure about deadlines. They sent in their application with a supporting letter from their priest. Then later on, the school rang them for a copy of her baptism cert.

And thereafter, the rejection. Will look at the deadline issue.

Assuming that all was submitted within deadlines, do they simply state this point in their Appeal - just state dates and in chronological order for this issue. Or is there some sort of proof they must provide?

Many thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Chai wrote: They are sure that one of these catholic schools is not part of the Consortium of Grammar Schools and so they had thought that if she had failed the 11+, she would have entered this school anyway. (hope this is clear).
Are you absolutely sure that these catholic schools were on their CAF? There is no "default" of being allocated into a school anyway just because she is at a catholic feeder school.

Presuming they were on the CAF - I think you need to find out why she was not eligible for a place at the catholic school. What are their criteria ? Sometimes it is specific attendance, sometimes it is just baptism .They will have a numbered list of categories and should be able to tell you how far they got down

eg "We allocated all in categories, 1-3 and had to use the oversubscription criteria for category 4".

Might help to say which schools they were then we can look these up
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Assuming that all was submitted within deadlines
Don't assume anything!

First establish all the facts, as Herman has written above.
Etienne
Chai

Post by Chai »

Brentwood Ursuline Convent - they rang for baptism certificate.

St Bernards in Southend (I understand this forms part of the Consortium of Schools participating in the Essex 11+ although it is not a grammar school).

I really thank you for this.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Brentwood Ursuline:

(a) “Looked after” girls from Catholic families and baptised Catholic looked after girls..
(b) Girls from families who are stated by their parish priest to be practising Catholics residing in
the local parishes of:
Brentwood Gidea Park – Christ the Eternal High Priest
Hutton Harold Hill - Most Holy Redeemer
Ingatestone Harold Hill - St Dominic’s
Warley Billericay - Holy Redeemer
Ongar
(c) Girls from families who are stated by their parish priest to be practising Catholics.
(d) Girls stated by their parish priest to be baptised Catholics.
(e) Girls who are ‘catechumens’. These are girls who wish to be baptised as Catholics and have
been accepted into the Order of Catechumens by the appropriate liturgical rite.
(f) Girls who are members of other Eastern Christian Churches.
(g) Other “Looked after” girls.
(h) Baptised girls, whose parents’ commitment to Christian faith and practice is confirmed, in
writing, by their minister or religious leader.
(i) Any other applications.

Any idea where she would come on this list? - also was this form completed http://schooladmissions.essexcc.gov.uk/ ... S-5461.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They would have had to show the baptismal form to the priest when they went to get the form completed

also St Bernards here with another list of criteria:

http://portal.stbernards.southend.sch.u ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now