Distressing remarks by class teacher

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
eyelashes

Distressing remarks by class teacher

Post by eyelashes »

My DS scored 114 marks on average on verbal and non verbal reasoning tests for Slough Consortium, that was sufficient for him to gain a offer at Herchel grammar due to distance criteria (2nd choice Grammar school). However, Im appealing for my first choice-Langley Grammar school (cut off point 118) and had seeked assistance from his class teacher to support my appeal with academic evidence-as he had achieved a level 5c in Maths and level 4C in English at the end of year 5.Hence I assumed higher predictions for the end of year 6 although during the Autumn term of year 6,his levels slightly fell mainly because he has been chronically ill. Nevertheless upon requesting help from his class teacher, she questioned my reasoning for his above average ability in maths,reading and science as an indicator of his ability to cope with such a school as "langley grammar" and even stated that only very bright children go to langley grammar and most have 141 marks! I tried to explain to her that the cut off mark was 118 for this year.I felt as though I was arguing with the appeal team! It seems as though she doesn't want to support my application for langley grammar based on his eleven plus score and was overlooked the fact that he has missed over three weeks form school due to his illness.
Furthermore, my DS had postponed his eleven plus exam twice and was given a final test date of 11th Jan2012-he had to sit the exam despite being unwell. He seemed to have suffered from acute anxiety symptoms as he was physically shaking even after the test (he didnt return to school), he recalled missing out no more than 10 questions due to lack of time as opposed to lack of ability. I felt that I should have requested extra time as he has been manifesting symptoms of CFS/ME (as I was granted 25% extra time during my exams for my masters ( I suffer from ME/CFS) in accordance with the disability discrimination Act 1995,amended by the Special Educational Needs and Disabilty Act 2001). I was wondering whether the latter would help with my appeal or shall I just omit it?
Thankyou so much for your time and help
zeinab

Re: Distressing remarks by class teacher

Post by zeinab »

Just read your post with sadness.Can't answer all your questions as I'm sure the professionals on here will. But try & get a letter from the Head Teacher indicating predicted KS2 exam levels/ or what level DC is working at, at the moment.

If you feel there's a glimmer of hope for a place at your 1st I would diffo go for it, but from advice on here, I would say back up everything with evidence if you're gonna appeal.

Very best of luck, we're all behind you :)
Last edited by zeinab on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

eyelashes wrote:I felt that I should have requested extra time as he has been manifesting symptoms of CFS/ME (as I was granted 25% extra time during my exams for my masters ( I suffer from ME/CFS) in accordance with the disability discrimination Act 1995,amended by the Special Educational Needs and Disabilty Act 2001). I was wondering whether the latter would help with my appeal or shall I just omit it?
Thankyou so much for your time and help
I find this really interesting. I applied for extra time for my dd in her 11+ & was refused by our gs consortium on the grounds that 'we just don't give it, it is about how the child performs within the time given'. Since she failed to complete the papers due to time & has now missed out on a place despite having some marks comparable with those high on the waiting list, I wish I had known about this. She has a diagnosis & at the time of the exam family life was in crisis due to this.

Sorry I can't offer anything constructive, but I wish you all the luck in the world.
Clarabelle
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Clarabelle, I don’t know anything about Essex but a blanket refusal to even consider a request for extra time on the basis that ‘we just don’t give it’ is almost certainly illegal.

There was an instance of this in Kent about 18 months ago when the mother took her case to court and won extra time for her daughter, I think on the grounds of dyslexia.

Going back to the OP’s question, the DDA (largely superceded by the 2010 Equality Act, incidentally) is a tricky piece of legislation – it doesn’t offer blanket coverage but rather assesses each and every case on its own merits. If you phone them, they will take you through a series of questions and give you an on-the-spot ‘best guess’ as to whether your DC would be covered. In our case the key question was “what happens if your DD misses her medication?”, to which the (honest) answer was “she dies”. At that point they decided she probably was, on balance, covered by the DDA…
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If I recall correctly, Clarabelle was offered some concessions, although not extra time. Most authorities seem quite strict when it comes to extra time, but I agree that such requests must receive proper consideration. Were the words 'we just don't give it' actually written down anywhere?

Eyelashes - if you didn't ask for concessions, and the consortium had no reason to know that your child might meet the definition of 'disabled', I don't see that the disability issue will get you anywhere. However, there's no reason why you shouldn't explain that the underperformance was due to extenuating circumstances.

Having said that, you do need to focus on academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

eyelashes wrote:as he had achieved a level 5c in Maths and level 4C in English at the end of year 5.Hence I assumed higher predictions for the end of year 6 although during the Autumn term of year 6,his levels slightly fell mainly because he has been chronically ill.
Most children will/should increase 2 sub-grades per year, so I would be predicting 5a for Maths but only 4a for English (average being 4b) at the end of Y6.

I think you should try & get a full breakdown of CAT scores taken in Y5 - most state schools take them, but not many actually tell the parents the results. They're a pretty good indicator of academic ability.
Capers
eyelashes

Post by eyelashes »

Thankyou everyone for your kind support!
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Rob Clark wrote:Clarabelle, I don’t know anything about Essex but a blanket refusal to even consider a request for extra time on the basis that ‘we just don’t give it’ is almost certainly illegal.

There was an instance of this in Kent about 18 months ago when the mother took her case to court and won extra time for her daughter, I think on the grounds of dyslexia.
Etienne wrote:If I recall correctly, Clarabelle was offered some concessions, although not extra time. Most authorities seem quite strict when it comes to extra time, but I agree that such requests must receive proper consideration. Were the words 'we just don't give it' actually written down anywhere?
Etienne You are correct she was given the concession to sit the exam in a separate room & also asked after the first 2 papers whether she wished to continue. She chose to do so rather then return on another date. This I'm certain was due to a wish to get it over with. She doesn't think of consequences only in the here and now.

But my main request was that of additional time and it wasn't granted. Unfortunately the response I received was via telephone after I had submitted my written request for additional time, separate room etc. But I'm sure it is well known within my area about the blanket denial of additional time. They did ask if I had anything in writing to back up my request - which I don't - there wasn't time to get any & anyway where would I? If I did surely they would have had to grant my request & most probably knew this...
Clarabelle
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Unfortunately the response I received was via telephone
I thought it might be! :)
I couldn't imagine anyone putting that in writing!
They did ask if I had anything in writing to back up my request
An admission authority could reasonably expect a recommendation from an appropriate professional (such as an educational psychologist) recommending extra time in tests, and ideally evidence from the current school that they allow extra time where appropriate.
Etienne
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

Eyelashes, can I just add to all of this that, if you don't end up being successful in your appeal to LGS, please don't see it as being the end of the world. Herschel is a fabulous school (I have one child there already and am thrilled to have my second one starting in September). The teachers are wonderful, the atmosphere in school is relaxed and friendly and the pupils get results pretty much on a par with LGS in any case. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone!