Southend/ Westcliff Waiting Lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pixie

Southend/ Westcliff Waiting Lists

Post by Pixie »

I've just been told by Southend Admissions that late applications do not get added to the Southend/ Westcliff waiting lists until after 22nd March. I didn't manage to get any specific information on when places are likely to be offered from the waiting list, other than "end of March".
I guess if you know where your DC is on the waiting list already then there's no point phoning again until after 22nd - looks like we're in for a long wait :(
Hopefully

Re: Southend/ Westcliff Waiting Lists

Post by Hopefully »

I was told this too, yet there is movement on the girls school lists.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

If you are on the waiting list already then you are not a late applicant.

They do not process late applications until they have cleared the initial rush of rejections. I think this is probably to give those near the top of the lists a fair chance of getting a place before the late applicants get slotted into the lists and some DCs start moving down.

If you are on the list, as rejections come in, places will be allocated. On 22nd March don't be surprised to see your ranking drop.
danbury1

Post by danbury1 »

Hi I wonder if you can help. If your DC is a late applicant do they wait for the children initially rejected to be cleared before considering the late applicants? thanks
stressplus11

Post by stressplus11 »

Just telephoned Southend Council and my DD has gone from 8th to 10th!! They told me that they will do the first intake at the end of March and late applications in April. So where did the other 2 come from on the waiting list and how?? They told me that there is no point phoning again until April if I haven't heard that she has a place at the end of March. :(
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Maybe the other two had put the school on their list originally but were offered a place from somewhere higher up the list and are now re-considering? I wonder if someone like that would not be a late applicant?
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

I'm afraid to say it comes down to the persistence and luck of the late applicants' parents.

In 2010 we made a late application and were told it would be 1st April would be looked at. We just kept phoning because one thing that Southend Admissions had to do was obtain the exam results from the CSSE. I kept phoning to see when they arrived. On the day they arrived a rejection had already come in, they could see our DS would go to top of list and offered us the place there and then. This was mid to late March.
Tagsiom

Post by Tagsiom »

Can someone please clarify what's meant as a "late application"? Does it mean someone who didn't have a Southend school down on their list of four but has now, having been rejected by "higher up" schools, decided they would like to? :?

And in terms of timing, I'm getting completely confused :oops: : if we are on a waiting list for a Southend school, is there a chance that we may get an offer before the late applicants (assuming my definition above is correct!) are slotted into their rank in the waiting list? If so then there does seem to be an element of luck about this part of the whole process.......... :?
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

A late application is to a school which you did not put on your CAF form.

Each authority says they do not look at late applications for a week or two after allocation day. This is because they are busy and do not have the resource to look at these applications until the initial rejections and movement on the waiting lists have taken place place and this also gives those at the very top of the waiting lists a fighting chance of getting in before the late applicants get slotted in.

Very persistent parents can get their DCs on the list sooner though if they happen to be lucky as we were.
worrryguts

Post by worrryguts »

Hi there,
Have been following this link for over a week now.
Just wondered if anyone had any answers for me.
I have been told that my d is 5th on waiting list with a total score of 315.991 for SHSG. I realise that she could be bumped down due to other late applicants (feel very frustrated with this) and it happens sometimes after March 22nd.
Does anyone out there know when we can find out if they have moved down.
It was hard enough dealing with her finding out she didnt get a place last week. She was so sad. She has no idea of this info, cant build her up in case it gets no-where.
Also does anyone know of anyone who has received an offer when they are the waiting list. Wonder if we have a good chance and if and when we could find out.
Trying so hard to be positive for her. She deserves it, she has worked so so hard. Sorry am rambling. Worrryguts
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now