Synonyms and Antonyms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
UmSusu

Synonyms and Antonyms

Post by UmSusu »

As the vocabulary section has formed a significant part of the KE exams, I was hoping I could get some tips on the best way to approach this section. Of course improving vocabulary in general through reading is the most effective way. I am also well aware that it would be a very naive approach to just learn them in sets - or is that what people do?

Anyway, it is a section that we need to prepare for and i wondered if there is any advice on how best to approach it. I know we can get hold of lists of words and we tried to list vocabulary we came across. But what is the most effective way to get children to remember them? As some of you may be aware, I did just complete this process with DS1, but he had a longer attention span than DS2 and didn't mind that towards the end we simply resorted to rote learning the words we didn't have time to review. I will not get away with this with DS2 :? so am asking for tips on a more effective strategy.

Please? :D
UmSusu
poppit

Re: Synonyms and Antonyms

Post by poppit »

Hi Umsusu

To be honest, I tried a number of different ways, but I think that it just happened naturally as a result of reading together and discussing any tricky words. I might read to the end of a passage, then stop go back and ask the meaning of a few words (what they don't know can surprise you).

I did buy the Oxford Synonyms & Antonyms dictionary, which is very accessible for 10/11 year olds although it isn't specifically aimed at them, but in all honesty we didn't use it that much.

poppit
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

google synonym /antonym games online.

there are lots and the children I teach love them.
lavenderhill

Post by lavenderhill »

http://wps.ablongman.com/long_licklider ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Many thanks poppit, yoyo and lavenderhill :D . I think I might get hold of the dictionary for reference anyway, but those websites look like great fun! I wish I had asked earlier now - poor DS1! :oops:
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My daughter enjoyed "synonym toast" - just google that phrase to get to the website :) She also read lots and lots.
pushymum

Post by pushymum »

Is Year 3 the appropiate time for starting synonyms and antonyms? if yes, what websites and books can you use?

I am a little panicked as my DS did not get into any of the King Edward schools, so will be home tutoring my next DS who is due to sit the test in 2014.
lavenderhill

Post by lavenderhill »

I started in year 5 with my child. I have attached a link above and will find other links I used for the vocab and general English stuff. Good luck
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

woodlands junior school site has some really good links to games for maths and English

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pushymum

Post by pushymum »

Thank you Lavenderhill and Yoyo123 for the information. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now