KEGS vs CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toolate

KEGS vs CRGS

Post by toolate »

Apologies but I am very new to the area and not yet privy to any school gate gossip. I daren't even discuss GS with the other mothers I have met for fear of creating the wrong impression (pushy new Mum etc.).

Can someone help me understand why KEGS is preferred over CRGS. Is it a geography thing? Or is KEGS considered to be a better school?

CRGS seems to do very well at A-level and Oxbridge - so I sort of assumed that it was a great school academically, until one parent suggested that the results were boosted by the sixth form intake. (Geographically for me CRGS would be much easier).

Clearly they are both fantastic schools but I would be really grateful if anyone would help me understand why KEGS is harder to get into. Please feel free to PM me if you'd prefer your comments to stay private.

Many thanks
First-timer

Re: KEGS vs CRGS

Post by First-timer »

Go for whichever one you and your DS prefer. Both schools admit new students in sixth form. I think there was another thread about this so it must be "out there" that there is something about CRGS's sixth form intake that skews results. The bulk of the sixth form is made up of boys who have been there from year 7, so make of it what you will. Both schools are among the best in the country. Geography and perceived kudos go some way to explaining why KEGS is more popular. I wouldn't worry about it. Either school would be a fantastic place for your DS to reach his potential. Visit both and then choose.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

If u look back to pg 4 there is a thread on moving from Kegs to crgs in 6th form which makes interesting reading. Kegs & CCHS due to the high influx of applicants from London has a slightly higher req score but expect some slight changes if the proposed priority admissions area is implemented. Staff want them to return to being local gs. For some parents perhaps there is kudos in having a child in a gs perceived as more difficult to get into. It will be interesting to see if crgs & colchsg sees an increase in London applicants for 2013 entry & how this affects the req score.
Clarabelle
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

The London to Colchester thread suggests it might already be happening. Poor kids! :(
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thank you for the thoughts. I just wonder what was behind the kudos of KEGS...apart from it being more competitive to get in...

Also are the catchments always 12.5miles....am concerned (for DS2) that Colchester schools will have to follow suit and we are just outside.

Thanks again....
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I think the kudos is just because traditionally a higher mark has been needed to gain entry to the Chelmsford schools. Some parents may be concerned about assumptions being made that DC didn't do well enough to get their first choice GS. I don't think this should be enough to influence parents' decisions but apparently it is important to some people.

Catchment/priority areas can differ. The Chelmsford schools are using 12.5 miles and the Southend schools are using postcodes. Nothing has been said about the Colchester schools bringing in a catchment area. If they did, they wouldn't have to follow the distance used by the Chelmsford schools.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

toolate wrote:Apologies but I am very new to the area and not yet privy to any school gate gossip. I daren't even discuss GS with the other mothers I have met for fear of creating the wrong impression (pushy new Mum etc.).

Can someone help me understand why KEGS is preferred over CRGS. Is it a geography thing? Or is KEGS considered to be a better school?

CRGS seems to do very well at A-level and Oxbridge - so I sort of assumed that it was a great school academically, until one parent suggested that the results were boosted by the sixth form intake. (Geographically for me CRGS would be much easier).

Clearly they are both fantastic schools but I would be really grateful if anyone would help me understand why KEGS is harder to get into. Please feel free to PM me if you'd prefer your comments to stay private.

Many thanks
Both CRGS and KEGS are extremely good schools. I have a son at CRGS and it is a fabulous school. The headmaster is a very nice and approachable man and we are very happy there.

I am not sure that KEGS is such a preferred school anymore. Maybe this was the case a few years ago but not now. Geographically it is situated in a better area for transport to and from London but this is about to change anyway. I definitely don't think that KEGS is a better school than CRGS but I am biased towards Colchester. :)

CRGS has an excellent academic record both at GCSE and A Level (particuarly the latter). I personally don't see how A Level results can be boosted by the Sixth Form intake anymore than at KEGS. They both allow external candidates. I think some parents say things like this because they are jealous of CRGS's success at A Level over the last few years.

I would recommend that you look around both schools and see what you think.
onlyme

Post by onlyme »

Hi there,

I would like to reiterate much of what has already been said but perhaps with a different slant...

My ds attends KEGS &, although he gained an 11+ score that would have secured a place at either KEGS or CRGS, we placed KEGS higher than CRGS on the CAF purely because it was nearer to our home... no kudos, no better than, just nearer! :D I know a number of KEGS parents & all those I have met have said they did this also.

KEGS continues to be more popular than GRGS simply because it is well sited with good transport routes & as such is accessible to pupils from a wider geographical area which results in more pupils applying to attend this school. Since more pupils apply to KEGS it means that there is a need to secure a higher 11+ score to gain a place KEGS than to gain a place CRGS.

KEGS & CRGS are both excellent schools... If I had lived nearer to CRGS I would have been delighted for my ds to attend there. However I live nearer to KEGS & I am equally delighted that my ds secured a place there. I have always thought KEGS & CRGS, along with the Southend GS, were all great schools & I am not sure where the view that one is superior to the other came from but it simply is not true.
On a final note I can honestly say I have never heard such comments made by KEGS parents/pupils... I have only actually become aware of this view from visiting this site :o
HTH
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I do know of one boy who lives closer to CRGS and who, having seen both schools, preferred CRGS. He is now at KEGS (and enjoying it, I might add). His mother was keen that he was seen to have sailed through the 11+. She expected him to be ranked in the top ten and felt that only KEGS was commensurate with this expectation. If he had gone to CRGS, other people might not have realised just how bright he was. I know! :roll: I'm doubtful that other people would care very much but perhaps the other mothers in her circle would. He wasn't in the top ten, as it happened, but she made out that he was. Problem was that she didn't tell her DH to keep quiet about his rank. :oops: She is a very sensible woman, normally.

Two points to this. One is that your DS will probably do well at either school and the other is that this whole process can make us behave very strangely indeed!
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thank you for all who have replied. I guess I must have picked up on this perceived superiority of KEGS from this site too....perhaps because of the tougher score thing...

I guess I hadn't considered the transport superiority of KEGS (apart from proximity to London).

I agree that a process like this can turn perfectly nice people a little wierd. So much pressure....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now