Successful SEN children

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Successful SEN children

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I've just read Belinda's excellent post on Dyslexia and I wondered if anyone has some success stories. For me I worry most about what the future holds for a child with SEN . It is such an unknown and to hear of stories of children who struggled with Dyslexia/dyspraxia, Aspergers, ADHD etc becoming successful and happy adults, holding down good jobs and doing well in relationships would really put a lot of our minds at rest.

So if there is anyone out there who now has a grown up child who struggled with SEN issues, it would be good to know how they are getting on in all areas of their late teen and adult lives. Does their SEN still affect them and if so, in what way?
lurker

Re: Successful SEN children

Post by lurker »

What a brilliant idea for a thread- I will be watching with interest. We all could do with some positive stories to keep going.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Well done WFG - I too will be checking in for positive stories :)
Clarabelle
Waiting_For_Godot

I'm beginning to worry, by the lack of posts, that there aren't any successful SEN adults! :cry:
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I'm beginning to worry, by the lack of posts, that there aren't any successful SEN adults! :cry:
Does your son have SEN?
Waiting_For_Godot

Caroline1852 wrote:
Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I'm beginning to worry, by the lack of posts, that there aren't any successful SEN adults! :cry:
Does your son have SEN?
What an odd question! :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

No personal experience but a fellow Mum on the parents' assoc has a daughter with Dyslexia. She had a lot of help from the school thankfully and used a laptop (paid for by LEA) through senior school and exams. She is now in 3rd year doing Chemistry at Cambridge and is very happy.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:
Caroline1852 wrote:
Does your son have SEN?
What an odd question! :lol:
Sorry if that's an odd Q.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I have a good friend with dyslexia who's a major novelist with Penguin, does that count?!
mystery

Post by mystery »

There's some well-known America journalist who can't spell for toffee (can't remember his name of course). I'm sure my husband would have been diagnosed with SEN if he'd gone to a state school in 2012 - I'd diagnose him as ADHD and Asperger's, and a bit of OCD while I'm at it. He's every successful though (and has a fantastic wife).

I'm pretty sure that 95% of the students I did my Oxbridge degrees with would have scored somewhere on someone's SEN scales, so add a fair number of successs stories to your list WFG.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now