re VR technique

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nikku

re VR technique

Post by nikku »

Hello all
my DS is having problems with VR, we have done the Susan D T&P, he is now doing the graded papers book 2 and finds them very difficult.
Not sure what to do.
any suggestions?
Thank you
Reading Mum

Re: re VR technique

Post by Reading Mum »

any particular ones?

My DD is still working her way through Susan D but we started with IPS as they seemed easier. For her its the ones with 'if AB maps to XY then what does GH map to?' ones that she just doesn't 'get'.
nikku

Post by nikku »

Hi
Same here, my DS spend a lot time on these, also the vocab words.
I am thinking maybe I should go back to daily practice IPS and then do the papers.
any suggestions?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Susan D is more relevant to us as we need to do all the types, not just the 21 IPS ones. I did IPS as well though as it got us to the point of being able to take the IPS 30 min tests that much quicker (only just started these). I know we are just going to spend a lot more time on the 'X is to Y' type. I also have both IPS and Bond daily tests which I am trying to poke under her nose whenever we have a spare 10 minutes.

With vocab I am just driving her slowly mad by pointing interesting words out all the time - she's very into the Matilda Musical soundtrack at the moment which has some great words in it. This morning's journey to school went along the lines of - see how many words for smell they use in this song: Pong, whiff, bouquet, odour, perfume, scent, etc, etc! I also have the VR download from here which has lots of synonym/antonym type stuff. She's not so keen on it but we do some every now and then as the selection of words used is very good.
patricia

Post by patricia »

These type codes are relatively easy as long as you keep to a Method and technique as follows. I allow my children no more than 20 seconds to answer each of these questions.
patricia wrote:A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Q48. JM is to HO as YB is to ??

Always treat as 2 separate sequences.
J to H and M to O

How do you get from J to H = minus 2.
Apply to Y.
Y minus 2 = W

How do you get from M to O = plus 2
Apply to B
B plus 2 = D

Answer = WD

Patricia
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Thanks Patricia - I print all these out and stick them in with her 11+ stuff. We are working our way through all the types but making note of the ones that don't come to her as easily. Type Z are her favourites :)
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

patricia wrote:A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Q48. JM is to HO as YB is to ??

Always treat as 2 separate sequences.
J to H and M to O
I think this bit is particularly relevant. We came across the following question:

UW is to VV
as NR is to _____

Because DD looked at this as a whole she gave the answer PP (i.e. double of the value in the middle).
The actual answer was OQ (N+1, R-1). In the MC sheet PP was not given as an option so there would have been no problem but we are doing STD format.
From now on she will be looking at the 2 letters separately :D

I love this forum
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Patricia,

Is there anywhere where all your explanations for how to do the various VR types are all in one place?

:) FB
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 510#p48510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you Reading mum! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now