GCSE options-please help-urgent

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eraldo

GCSE options-please help-urgent

Post by Eraldo »

Hi All
My DS has to select the subjects this wednesday for his GCSE. I am not sure about -please help. He is academically good and aiming for Medical/software engineer.
In addition to the compulsory subjects he is taking geography instead of history (He is sure about this).
My confusion is languages French or german. He wants to take German as he has learned basic german but didn't know any thing about french. Is this language the right if he is going for medical university as I can see all posts here -have opted for French instead of german-so bit worried. Is there any drawbcaks if he opt for german?

He can take another additional subject which also I am not sure about- can he go advanced science course or ICT course or business management . can any one please let me know the advantages/disadvantages of these subjects as early as possible -many Thanks
:?
hermanmunster

Re: GCSE options-please help-urgent

Post by hermanmunster »

Has he actually done any French? Seems strange to be opting for GCSE without having done any (unless he has done lots of spanish / german before??)

Languages are very much a case of what you enjoy - my DC love german and hate french. Many are the other way round.

For medical school either are fine - best to do the one you find easiest

PS I think only 3 universities currently require GCSE MFL - Edinburgh, UCL and YOrk... many others may prefer you to have a GCSE
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Many thanks hermanmunster
French-he know only few words.
German- he is studying now so he confident in german. But except your post others post all going for french so wondered.
can you please give me ideas abour the other choice too-many thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not sure what you mean about advanced science ? is he doing 3 science GCSEs or the dual award?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My eldest is doing German :) Much easier to carry on with what he's doing than start almost from scratch, I'm sure :)

When you say "advanced science" - if you mean the three separate sciences, then yes, I'd probably want my child to go for that over ICT or business studies. If you don't mean that, then I don't know what you mean!
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Yes I think ..3 separate science –I am at work and don’t remember the correct terminology in the letter .
He is interested in doing taking additional ICT (sorry not sure about the correct name for this also) – is it ok? what you all think?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Probably worth listing what he is actually doing when you get home as some of these things can have different names. What he could do with having (as a minimum) is:

Maths
English Lit
English Lang
MFL
3 Science
at lease one humanity - Geog / RS / History

after that it is really what he is interested in doing
Belinda

Post by Belinda »