Parmiter's over PAN?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wanner

Parmiter's over PAN?

Post by Wanner »

Was just having a look at the outturn report, which many of you may find of interest:

http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/s/outturn2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have I completely misread it, or is Parmiter's over their PAN by twenty children?? See pg 36 - it says PAN is 186, but allocations are listed as 206. Surely that can't be right?
chapuza

Re: Parmiter's over PAN?

Post by chapuza »

I'd heard that there might be more this year - could it be influenced by things like admitting twins?
Wanner

Post by Wanner »

Surely that wouldn't push them over PAN? I would have thought that they would just not allocate any places under criteria 7 - 'Remaining places will be allocated on the basis of proximity to the school.'

Also wondering what this will do to people waiting for CI places - will they be able to allocate any places at all until they are down to their PAN number? WP - you're the expert here - what do you think?
wtfd

Post by wtfd »

Slightly off-topic (only slightly so bear with me!) - having looked at the report, I noticed that the allocations for Westfield are well over PAN - 304 as opposed to 240 - have they over-allocated because they know that many parents will not accept the place? :? :?:
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I did wonder about Westfield's overallocation and wonder if is because most of the schools in the area are now in control of their own allocations and hence will not go over PAN (apart from perhaps Parmiters this year). So for any children that did not get into any of their choices the LEA needs to put them somewhere and Westfield may be their only choice locally. In previous years they have been able to put these children into Francis Combe and Bushey Hall but these schools are now both academies.

Alison
WP

Post by WP »

Parmiter's apparently have an increased PAN this year: I missed that they'd scaled up all their proportions to 206. Westfield has been allocated well over PAN a few times in recent years, in anticipation of some people getting places elsewhere from waiting lists.
Ally

Post by Ally »

So are Parmiters increasing class size or adding an extra form? Where have the extra 20 come from ? Is it a combination of distance, academic, music, and siblings? Will be interesting to see if this effects movement on the waiting lists.
maddad

Post by maddad »

WP wrote:Parmiter's apparently have an increased PAN this year: I missed that they'd scaled up all their proportions to 206. Westfield has been allocated well over PAN a few times in recent years, in anticipation of some people getting places elsewhere from waiting lists.
I know it was being discussed, but didn't know it had been confirmed. Has this increase been published anywhere, since the Admissions Arrangements for Year Seven Entry in September 2012 on their website still only mentions 186.
WP

Post by WP »

Ally wrote:So are Parmiters increasing class size or adding an extra form? Where have the extra 20 come from ? Is it a combination of distance, academic, music, and siblings? Will be interesting to see if this effects movement on the waiting lists.
They still have 10% distance, 25% academic and 10% music.
jimjum

Post by jimjum »

Can someone explain the significance of the PAN for schools? If Parmiters have advertised their admission figure as 186, but they have sent out 206 offers and their PAN is 206 which figure will they now use? What happens when some children decline their offer for Parmiters? Does the school wait until more than 30 children decline before contacting other children on the waiting list or do they now have to fill 206 places??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now