Age Standardization in Independent school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
veryhopeful

Age Standardization in Independent school

Post by veryhopeful »

All,

I am wondering if someone can help me find answer to this question.

Does Independent school do Age Standardization as Grammer schools?

I am particularly looking for KES/KEHS school.

Thanks in Advance
:?
mike1880

Re: Age Standardization in Independent school

Post by mike1880 »

I don't believe they're standardised - few if any independent school entrance tests will be standardised. In most cases the schools set their own papers, they simply don't have the resources (or probably the knowledge) to standardise them.

Mike
pist

Post by pist »

I would phone and ask. I'm not in your area, but the knowledge I have of some very selective indies around our area, is that they most certainly take age into consideration - although i don't know If they have a particular mathematical formula for doing so.
:)
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

mike1880 wrote:I don't believe they're standardised - few if any independent school entrance tests will be standardised. In most cases the schools set their own papers, they simply don't have the resources (or probably the knowledge) to standardise them.

Mike
Had a chuckle at your post Mike ;-). 'no knowledge' :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

:lol: No slight intended - standardising test scores is a complex and expensive operation, it requires (a) very sound statistical knowledge, (b) a large reference group to standardise against and (c) a large enough test cohort to make it worthwhile. Given that only about 1000 take the two tests (~600 KES/~400 KEHS), a standardisation exercise would actually be a bigger operation than running the test itself.

If any allowance is being made for age it would therefore likely be somewhat subjective and approximate, as I suspect happens in the indies pist refers to. (For example, you could probably graph scores against age in Excel and plot a trendline. That's "taking age into account" but it isn't "standardisation".)

Mike
pist

Post by pist »

Yep, I reckon Mike's right - and as much is asessed in interviews at most indies, the admissions process is usually rather more subjective than at grammars anyway.

But if you have a summer-born child, it's nice to know if age is taken into consideration in some way (at my dcs' v selective school, the age-spread seems pretty even and teachers are well aware of the difference between the older and younger pupils in the age group).

:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now