Appeal for a disabled child

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum3boys

Appeal for a disabled child

Post by Mum3boys »

I'm kind of at a loss and have been told we have no grounds for appeal so have come for advice from greater minds than mine if that's ok.

My son sat the entrance exams for a selective school and the local Grammar. He is autistic but copes well in mainstream and is working at level 6 in his SATs in Maths and is around a 5b in English. He is on the gifted and talented register for Maths. He has 25 hours of funded support. His main issues at school are knowing where he is going, having a strict routine, not being allowed to get into a panic and having support in understanding some written language. For example anything to do with emotions are beyond him. Also if someone told him it was raining cats and dogs he'd be out looking for them. That sort of thing sails over his head.

The selective school turned him down but accepted three other children from his school who do not perform as well academically. They said in their literature that they give priority to children who excel in Maths and science which he does but in reality have given places to children who don't perform as well as my son. I think his diagnosis has caused an issue - they have very few children with statements.

The Grammar said he passed but they are oversubcribed and he wasn't in the top 90. The only complaint I can have with that is that there is no extra support given for children like my mine during the 11+. For GCSE he would have extra reading time as an example, and it is understanding of language that trips him up. If he had extra time even just to understand what was being asked of him he would be fine as his closest rival at school sailed through and got a place. The school have no issue with his disability and already have an autistic pupil who's needs are met well there.

The LEA have offered an awful school (we knew this which is why we put ourselves through the exam process). It's due to close in the near future and merge with an even worse school. Think bottom two schools in your area and you have the idea. It has an appalling reputation, a dreadful catchment and no sixth form. The children are famous for hanging around the streets swearing, spitting and smoking. My son wouldn't last a day there but there is no school near us and it's too late to move house :!: . I suppose I am guilty of being overconfident as my son is so bright. He got a 4a in his Maths SATs at 6 and has been off the scale in all academic testing done when he has his reviews done for his special needs. Pride definitely came before a fall.

We had a conversation with the Head of the Grammar who said we had no grounds for appeal but maybe could start a legal challenge. Again we have no grounds. The only argument we have is that the exam process is discriminatory against children with a disability like my son's.

Anyway I've kind of waffled on a bit and I hope I have all the facts put down. I was hoping someone could come up with something for us to base an appeal on or knows what steps we can take next. Thank you to anyone who can help even if it's just to say that we can't do anything more.
Clarabelle

Re: Appeal for a disabled child

Post by Clarabelle »

I don't class myself as wise or knowledable but wanted to recommend Network 81 and SOS!SEN to you. Both deal with education & SEN issues & I'm certain could help you. I spoke with our local Network 81 rep today & now find myself on the long road to 2nd opinions, statements & funding private ed. psych reports as well as wrestle with the issue of appealing to grammar schools renowned for a very low success rate. Like your's my child was denied the concession of additional exam time, but was granted others.

Good luck
Clarabelle
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I wouldn't necessarily believe what the headteacher says - after all, he's the 'opposition'!

You can try appealing on the basis of strong alternative academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and your reasons for wanting a place at this particular school:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The appeal panel has a duty to consider whether the requirements of the Equality Act have been met.
Etienne
catcool

Post by catcool »

But the child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs and there is therefore no appeal via the usual means .Any appeal will need to be to the First-Tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability ) not a school admission appeal panel. para 3.21 SAAC..
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Whoops! I missed the statement - that'll teach me to skim read! :oops:

I think, Mum3boys, you should talk to your LA or with your local Parent Partnership Service about the appeal route.
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/
This is a charity which offers free advice to families of children with disabilities and they have a helpline. Etienne, as this is a free access charity I trust it is acceptable to link here? If not please remove.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
catcool

Post by catcool »

To be fair Etiene I was not 100% sure that the child has a statement but assumed from the sentence below

" I think his diagnosis has caused an issue - they have very few children with statements"
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the alert, Catcool - there is an implication there! Perhaps Mum3boys would clarify?

Thanks for the link, Tracy - no problem with the helpline of a charity.
Etienne
Mum3boys

Post by Mum3boys »

Sorry I missed out the statement bit :? . Sometimes I forget I'm not yapping on to other people in my autism group. Yes he is statemented and gets 25 hours of care. A blonde moment from me there.

Also thank you all so much for taking the time to give me advice as I'm feeling useless at the moment.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello,

I have sent you a PM - you can get it by clicking on the top left of the page where it should say "x new messages"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now