Views on Colchester High School please.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suhana

Views on Colchester High School please.

Post by suhana »

Hi,
My DS could not secure a place at CRGS and after much deliberation and contemplation about local comp and financial issues, we are on the verge of putting him in Colchester high school. As it is a long term financial commitment, I would like members to please pass theirs views/ recommendations with reference to this school. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Moonlight

Re: Views on Colchester High School please.

Post by Moonlight »

My son had a place reserved at this school a couple of years ago. We didn't need it in the end though because he got into CRGS. If this hadn't been the case, he would definitely have gone to Colchester High. I really liked the school and so did my son. The principal was very welcoming and I felt that he had time for us and answered all our questions. The students were very polite and well mannered and there seemed to be a lot of money invested in the school at the time.

Colchester High had a really good feel about it. I knew I would like it before I had even walked in the door. There is nothing really grand about the school and it's not set in acres of land but it just seemed right for us.

My only concern was the lack of indoor and outdoor space. The hall is very small which is not ideal at lunchtimes and the playground is quite limiting. There is no field at the school but I don't think this has held them back with regard to playing sports as they use the Garrison.

My son would have got a very good education at this school. Class sizes are reasonably small and the curriculum is varied. I have no doubt that he would have done really well there.

There is no Sixth Form at Colchester High. Most of the students go on to study at Colchester Sixth Form so only five years of fees to pay (assuming you only have one child of course). :)

As you can probably gather, I would definitely recommend this school. I think your DS would be very happy there.
suhana

Post by suhana »

Thanks Moonlight,

Your recommendation is quite valuable as I do not know any parents at that school personally.
Also you are right in mentioning that school is upto year 11. we can think later about the sixth form, and he can try grammar school:) I do have DD in cchs, so yes, just one child to pay for private education. Just overwhelmed with such important decision for his secondary education!!

Thanks again for your reply.
toolate

Post by toolate »

You can also try again for CRGS at 13 - if it's not too sore a wound? I think the test is more curriculum based so he may be well positioned. Of-course if he is happy and has good friends you may not want to move him.
suhana

Post by suhana »

It's true toolate that there's nothing to lose to try 13+. ( the wound is still sore although I am very proud of my DS's efforts!)

Couple of positive replies and I am already encouraged. Thanks :)
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Will PM you
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

pm sent also
akha

Post by akha »

Mrs.B and Minesatea, I would be very greatful if could pm me as well. Thank you.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

I'm in a similar position to suhana, but unfortunately didn't manage to make it to Colchester High School's open day on Saturday.

MrsB and Minesatea, would you mind also sending the same PMs to me? It would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
suhana

Post by suhana »

Thanks everyone for there replies and P.Ms

Will explore some more options and update you all soon.

Suhana
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now