waiting for GS place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hashbrown*

waiting for GS place

Post by hashbrown* »

Dear Patrica
Please could you advise me. I am a very anxious parent, who has been waiting since last year for a grammar school place for my child.The situation is as follows:My child qualified for the 12 plus last year with a score of 127, however we were struggling to provide proof of address as we had only just moved. Therefore he was left number one on the waiting list as from 1st june 2011.Now I'm not sure if he will be included in the allocation rounds as from may 2012 as I have not been contacted at all.
By september 2011 they accepted our new address being only 5 mins away from the desired GS.
The question is what happens now? I don't know what steps to take.
patricia

Re: waiting for GS place

Post by patricia »

You must contact County and ask for the current position , get the name of the person you have spoken to. In addition ask them to put your conversation in writing via email.

Good Luck!

Patricia
hashbrown*

Post by hashbrown* »

Thankyou so much for your reply!
Another question I wanted to ask was that would our child stilll be considered in the allocation rounds or would I have to appeal now.I know that there are very few places beyond the 11 plus , however we have been waiting since last year. Or is it just the case that we have been forgotten.

Thankyou again! worried mother
drummer

Post by drummer »

I thing the current allocation rounds are for this September's Y7 entry and will have nothing to do with your child's situation.

As Patricia says, you need to contact Bucks CC and, I would say also the school as in our case the County had it's numbers wrong and said there wasn't a place for my 12+ child when in fact there was.

Have you made a transfer/over-subscription appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear hashbrown*

It is always wise to pursue both routes - waiting list and an appeal.

Our appeals advice can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the schools you want are oversubscribed, ask Admissions for appeal forms.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just to add - what worries me about this:
I am a very anxious parent, who has been waiting since last year for a grammar school place for my child
- is that they may or may not be maintaining a waiting list (which is not to say they aren't, but they're under no obligation to do so beyond the autumn term of year 7).
Etienne
hashbrown*

Post by hashbrown* »

Dear Etienne and others who have replied, thankyou very much for your advise.
I am aware that once a child has qualified this is valid until the end of year 9.Now although I was contacted in September via email and told that my son was 1 on the waiting list I'm just not sure what happens from here.Does he get re-allocated in May for September 2012?
Its like Patricia said I need to contact BucksCC and find out.
I'm now also worried since you imformed me that they are under no obligation to maintain a waiting list as from Autumn 2011.
Thanks very much :roll:
hashbrown*

Post by hashbrown* »

Oh! and no I have not made an appeal , so I may consider that now.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Have you actually called them yet? Unless you call them, you really won't know what action to take next - they are very helpful and it will make the situation much clearer and then the mods can offer proper advice to you.
Y

Post by Y »

hashbrown* wrote: I am aware that once a child has qualified this is valid until the end of year 9.
Thanks very much :roll:
Is this right? I thought qualification lasted just for the relevant academic year - so a child qualifying at 12+ (ie, in Year 7), was qualified till the end of Year 8.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now