Primary schools in Cheltenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slackmum

Primary schools in Cheltenham

Post by slackmum »

I am debating a move to Cheltenham, DS1 is in year 8 at Pates and DS2 is only in year 2 at Primary school. I do not know Cheltenham at all (currently live in a small village in the Stroud valleys) and would be looking for an area with decent access to Pates and good schools for DS2, both Primary and Secondary as he is probably not suited to Pates.

We also have three cats, a dog and a horse (who would kept at a localish livery yard - upto half an hour drive) who have never lived outside a rural environment. Can anyone recommend where I should start my search.

The move is not imminent, and indeed may not happen, but I would like to explore the possibilities and having inside information on local schools would be invaluable. Thank you.
stroudydad

Re: Primary schools in Cheltenham

Post by stroudydad »

As you're only debating a move to Cheltenham (so I'm assuming it's not enforced by work, etc) why not consider Cirencester? Good links to Cheltenham, outstanding comprehensive, good primaries. Just a thought.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

If you wanted to stay around the Pates area, perhaps think about Hatherley/Shurdington/Badgeworth or Bentham. I know there is a livery yard off the Shurdington Rd that were advertising "vacancies". You would then be in the catchment area for Warden Hill and Greatfield Park; both of which are decent schools I understand. Can't recommend Lakeside (bad experiences!), but I think St Marks is a good school also. You would also be in catchment for Bournside (possibly Chosen Hill, although they are always oversubscribed, so may have a smaller catchment area - you would have to check) if you decided not to go down the Grammar route. There is a grammar bus I believe that runs to HSFG and Tommies from Morrisons too, but not sure about Pates. Just a thought.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I seem to remember that many of the schools in Cheltenham (especially the Leckhampton area) are oversubscribed - I've heard many appeals for them and in KS1 it's very, very hard to win an oversubscription appeal. For KS2 it can be slighly easier, as there's not the 30 in a class limit, but there is still the small matter of physical space (the larger classrooms are often allocated to the younger classes).

I've often known parents having to ship their children across Cheltenham to the schools that have spaces (which tend of course to be less popular schools in less popular areas).

There's also a lot of pressure on schools to the west of Cheltenham from the military Rapid Response Force who have recently moved into the area and have a fairly constant turnround of staff & thus families.

You could consider villages to the north of Cheltenham - Gretton / Alderton / Winchcombe (OK, so that's a small town) - very agricultural, and there used to be school buses to Pate's when it was a 'neighbourhood grammar' with smaller catchment area. Don't know if they still run - but I'm told they brought a thrill equivalent to theme park rides.

If you were moving into Gloucestershire I'd have recommended you consider villages around the Stroud Valleys, but, err...
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Actually Capers, I had forgotten the new housing development in Hatherley which will be providing about 250 more dwellings - where the heck the kids are supposed to go I really don't know!
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Pate's bus still operates from Gretton ,Alderton etc and picks up at villages en route to Gotherington and Bishops Cleeve. All of these villages have good primary schools and the semi rural area might suit your animals. Both Winchcombe and Cleeve have senior schools.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Capers123 I do love the Stroud valleys but may need to move closer to Pates in the future, however, while I am still here I wondered if you were looking for any lay people to sit on the Appeals Panel this year and how one would apply.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

slackmum wrote:Capers123 I do love the Stroud valleys but may need to move closer to Pates in the future, however, while I am still here I wondered if you were looking for any lay people to sit on the Appeals Panel this year and how one would apply.
Hi,

You wouldn't be a lay member of the panel if you have a child at a school, but an educationalist as the child qualifies you as an expert in educational matters :D

PM me with your email address and I'll pass it on to Julie Goble who clerks a lot of the appeals. Thanks.
Capers
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Slackmum,
What about the Tewkesbury area? I live 10 mins the otherside,near Upton, very rural and only 20 mins from Cheltenham. Lots of villages nearby, and several very good primaries in Tewks plus Tewks comp which has a good reputation I'm told. :D
3kidsmum

Post by 3kidsmum »

Hi proud mum x2, as my kid got a place in Pates this sept and thinking of moving to Tewkesbury from Bristol, but know nothing about Tews, as u said there are several good primaries in tews, what is the names of them? i really want to sort out the primaries for other 2 kids before making any decision. thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now