Wallington Girls High School

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vijaya_ari

Wallington Girls High School

Post by vijaya_ari »

Hi

My daughter has scored 356 in Wallington Girls high school, She has not been offered a seat on the basis of postcode. Please could you suggest some advise on how do I approach this appeal.

My daughter is upset about the school offered and it's hard to see her being emotionally down. Please could I have your advise.
hermanmunster

Re: Wallington Girls High School

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Vijaya

I have just looked at the oversubscription criteria:
4.4.3 100 places on the basis of score in the assessment test in order of highest score.
4.4.4 Up to 80 places in order of highest score to those whose permanent place of residence on the closing date for applications within the Pan-London Co-ordinated Secondary Admissions Scheme in the year prior to admission is within a 6.7km radius of the main entrance to the school building. (Distances will be measured in a straight line from the child's home address using the computerised Geographical Information System maintained by Sutton’s School Admissions team, with those living closer to the school receiving the higher priority.) The number of places offered under this criterion will be reduced by the number of places offered under criteria 4.3, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2.
4.4.5 30 places in order of highest score to those whose permanent place of residence on the closing date for applications within the Pan-London Co-ordinated Secondary Admissions Scheme in the year prior to admission is within a 6km radius of the junction of Carshalton Road, Pound Street, Park Hill and Beynon Road in the London Borough of Sutton. (Distances are as defined in 4.4.4.)

4.8 Should there be insufficient applicants eligible for a place in 4.4.4 and 4.4.5 above then applicants residing outside the designated areas would be considered in order of highest score.
Are you applying under 4.4.5 or 4.4.4 or 4.8? Are you on the wating list - if so do you know where? Have read the appeals FAQ? - lots of info http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vijaya_ari

Post by vijaya_ari »

Hi

My residence is not within the radius of 6.2 kms but am intending to move to this location as my son will also be starting to go to school in the same area.

Please could you advise on whether I can appeal, if yes then some guidance on this appeal process will really be helpful.

Thanks a Ton.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes you can appeal. A wish to move to an area does not help with an appeal as you can only appeal one distance basis once you actually live in the area.

have you looked at the link I posted which has the guidance on appealing
vijaya_ari

Post by vijaya_ari »

Just going through - Would this come under oversubscription as her score is qualifying for a seat.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If she's qualified, but there's no place, then it must be oversubscription.
Etienne
vijaya_ari

Oversubscription Appeal

Post by vijaya_ari »

Please could I get some guidance on Over Subscription Appeal - What do I need to give as Evidences to the Appeal ? Please could you guide me through it ?

Wallington Grammar (Girls) last year - No success in the appeals last year. Am worried on where would we be after our appeal.

Daughter is in high levels of 5 in Year and is expected to achieve level 6 in some subjects and is extremely good in Extra Curricular activities and has performed / represented the school in a number of occasions. Please could I have your expert advise.
manicmum

Re: Oversubscription Appeal

Post by manicmum »

This would be a great place to start & I am sure the mods will give you some more guidence on the school in question;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's still unclear whether you have followed up the link to the Q&As Herman kindly provided.
What do I need to give as Evidences to the Appeal ?
Well, it depends what sort of case you wish to present.

Firstly, if you're arguing against oversubscription, you should have found the typical reasons given in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but only you can say which of these reasons would apply to your case.
Depending on the reasons, there are some examples in the Q&As of the sort of evidence that might be appropriate.

Secondly, bearing in mind that score is used in the oversubscription criteria, if your daughter underperformed in one particular part of the 11+ (let's take maths as an example), then it might help your case if you have alternative academic evidence to show that she is really good at maths and could reasonably have been expected to score much more highly than she did! Evidence might include some of the following:
  • School reports showing excellent progress in maths,
    top set for maths in a high performing school,
    5a prediction for maths at Key Stage 2,
    gold certificate in primary maths challenge,
    Gifted & Talented for maths,
    etc.
Again, it depends what sort of case you want to present.
Etienne
vijaya_ari

Post by vijaya_ari »

Thanks for the reply. I did read through the question and answers and have asked the questions to the school on the schools limit etc.

Is it possible to get the break down and Math and VR Scores ?

Since my daughter has scored more than 326 and since her score is above 346 (the last offered mark), do i need to gather evidences related to her academic ability.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now