Advice Needed Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SEP18

Advice Needed Please

Post by SEP18 »

OK - is it wrong for me to check DS's phone and facebook accounts?? It would not be done everyday but maybe, once a fortnight?

Does any other parent do this please? My DS is in Year 8.

Any thoughts would very much be appreciated on this matter.
pixiequeen

Re: Advice Needed Please

Post by pixiequeen »

IMO, not wrong at all, so long as he is aware you are going to do it. My DD is year 7 and knows I randomly check her phone whenever I feel like it (wouldn't want to give her the chance to delete anything I might not like by giving her too much warning!). She doesn't have a facebook account but if she did I would definitely check that too! All the other parents I know check their kids phones too. We also have a no screens in bedrooms rule so we would be more aware if DD was sent a text that upset her, and of course I am checking that my DD is communicating with her friends in a polite and appropriate manner :D

Pixiequeen
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

No, you're not wrong to check. I check my son's FB regularly. He knows this and it isn't an issue. It was a condition of him having an account. Quite often I'm the one who notices that he has friend requests and I remind him to deal with them. My son is in Y8 too. None of his communications are of a personal nature yet. I might have to have a rethink in a couple of years.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I too check DS's phone and facebook (he's yr8). Also he only has facebook account on the understanding that both his dad and I are his "friends".
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I check my son's accounts about every two weeks although I don't always remember. I was chuffed when I my son replied to a message saying, "Don't swear mate!" :D Not sure how long that will last though! :(
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I check my dd's accounts and she knows it. However she is rapidly approaching 15 now (year 9) and I will probably stop when she enters year 10 ........................................... or maybe year 11 :lol: :lol:
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

My oldest (Y7) has neither, but I would check too.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our deal with our children is that they don't have facebook accounts unless we are their "friends" but I do try not to make any comments on their wall (can't resist sometimes :D ). We also reserve the right to check their phones whenever we fancy it and do so randomly every now and then, although I have to say we have eased off on DD who is in year 11. We have a no screens in bedroom rule although it does slip a bit. If they break the rules the phones are taken off them for the weekend and it hasn't had to happen for a while. Mind you DS is constantly fiddling with his phone and it drives me beserk!
scary mum
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Thank you for replying everyone.

I do not feel like such a monster now :oops: DS was quite adamant that no other parent checks their DC's phones. It's nice to know that I am not alone in doing this.

I found something not particularly nice on there and have had to deal with this issue as well as the checking the phone issue. :roll:
andyb

Post by andyb »

I can log into DS1's (Y9) Facebook account and I am a friend. He knows I look at it quite regularly. Judging by some of the "banter" that goes on on Facebook I assume that not many of his friends' parents check up on them :shock: . I don't tend to look at his phone messages unless he is behaving more secretively than normal :wink: .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now