independent schools in reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
123abc

independent schools in reading

Post by 123abc »

Can please someone advise for a good independent school in reading - 1. near kendrick girls grammar 2. in caversham 2. 3. in or around earley -Wockingham . I am new for the area . DD1 got in kendrick and DD2 just starting in foundatiion . will be moving to reading .DD2 will be a late application for september 2012 entry , may have to wait to get in a school , as a second option I have started looking for inde schools ,just thinking if she will be left out . Please suggest something for indie school.Many thanx in advance.
mad?

Re: independent schools in reading

Post by mad? »

Crossfields on Shinfield Road is 'in or around' Earley.
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Or Abbey? Near Kendrick.
mad?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The Abbey girls Indie is a few hundred yards from Kendrick. My DD has been there since she was 4 and has been very happy. It is selective and quite a few of the years are full but it might be worth taking a look.
123abc

Post by 123abc »

Thanks reading mum .Can you please tell me some of your experiences of the abbey school as I am looking for foundation stage admission . can you plz also advise - as what could be easy way to commute to kendrick -caversham or earley or it is good to stay near town centre ? DH has to commute- c.london . I have heard a lot about traffic congestion to travel towards kendrick -is it true? plz let know from your experience.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD started in Nursery aged 4 yrs 2 months. She is academically able, particularly maths, and they have supported and stretched her. Extra curricular stuff is very good and they have before and after school care available plus holiday club. She has tried everything from ballet to judo to tennis to drama to chess to choir. Class sizes vary depending on whether it is a 2 or 3 class year - DD is now in yr 5 which has 3 classes of 18.
Personally I am a fan of East Reading. DD will be able to walk to either Kendrick or Abbey Senior depending on how things go with the 11+. She will not be going to the catchment comp in Woodley. Traffic across Reading from Caversham can be horrid - OH works south of Reading so we wouldn't consider it but it's not so bad if you are just going to the station.
If money were not involved we would probably not be considering Kendrick - the Abbey is a lovely school full of committed and talented staff and pupils. DD has been very happy there but for whatever reason she really clicked with Kendrick at the open day last Autumn.
Feel free to PM me for more details if you like
darell

Post by darell »

Rush hour traffic in Reading is like any other town centre-bad! Is DH taking the train (in which case live near the station/centre) or driving (live to the East/South East)

I suggest looking at, in order of proximity/ease of access to Kendrick :

1. Same side of town east and South:
The Abbey (girls only)
St Joseph's Prep
Crosfields
You need to move fast because I hear that Crosfields and St Jo's are full for reception/Kindergarten in September 2012, and their waiting lists may even be closed. I suspect that The Abbey may be the same.

2. Caversham:
Caversham Prep
Hemdean House

3. Wokingham/other areas
Dolphin in Hurst
The White House School is supposed to be excellent, but may be closing (according to The Wokingham times last week).