Handwriting Material?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
d2001

Handwriting Material?

Post by d2001 »

Hello Friends,
I'd like to help my son improve his scrumbled up handwriting. He can write joined up but it looks messy. I want him to have beautiful handwriting like my old school teacher. I was soo envious as I have rubbish writing. Is there any advanced handwriting resource I could use to help my nine year old improve his writing.
Samlet

Re: Handwriting Material?

Post by Samlet »

Hello d

My DS had terrible writing in Y5 and I spent money on handwriting lessons and did practice with him in handwriting books. Once he had passed the 11+ I relaxed, and now DS is in Y7 and has slipped back into terrible habits :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have bought the Andrew Brodie Handwriting Today workbooks, which seem to be much less 'babyish' than what we had last time and I am impressed with it so far. I have also bought a Lamy pen (not too pricey on auction site) which has also made an immediate improvement.

Early days, but hopefully this will get him back on track. I'm not after beautiful, would settle for legible writing. :)
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

My mum bought my DS a calligraphy set which helped him get interested. That's worth a try.

You could buy some of those foam grips or ergonomic pens and pencils, or even just putt an elastic band on the pencil where his hand should rest to give a bit of extra grip and support, and some poor handwriting is due to poor fine motor skills and muscle control.

I couldn't believe that my DCs primary don't use the invisible thirds method of writing Two invisible lines between each line you write on. Most letters are formed within the first third, with ts and fs extending to the second; other uprights extending just above the third, and descenders into the top third of the line below. If his school doesn't teach this, it can be really hard to work out letter formation. My Yr5 DS still can't form an f correctly because he was never taught to extend it at school (and didn't believe me for years when I tried to help correct him!)

Finally - if he's up for it, get him to draw repetitive patterns such as scales on fish or dragons, loops and curls and waves in the sea etc to reinforce regular strokes.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've got workbooks from Morrell publishing which aren't too bad. My ds is using book 7. The lady on the phone was very helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now