Wilson Test Format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
afruitie

Wilson Test Format

Post by afruitie »

Congratulations to all DCs who passed and a pat on the back and a big hug to all those who did not get the results they were looking for.

It will be us next year. Just wondering if DCs would be kind enough to shed some light on the format?
How many questions were there for comprehension and maths? Were there options for the writing task if so how many? Any little information would be appreciated.
Thank You.
mumzone

Re: Wilson Test Format

Post by mumzone »

Just to let you know that all the boys who were ill on the day of the test will be sitting it around the 8th November. It is, therefore, advisable not to discuss any details of the exam.
afruitie

Post by afruitie »

Congratulations to all your DCs who managed to get into this amazing school and good luck to those of you who are still waiting.
We are preparing to sit the test in September and would appreciate any discussions on the test format.

Thank you.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Any advice based on your exam last year greatly appreciated.
Last edited by BusyQueenBee on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Essay was on family memories, English comp straightforward and Maths was straightforward - at the open evening the head made a big deal of saying it was the Maths the boys do in Y6 in primary school and my son agreed with that when he had done the exam.

Hope that helps and good luck to you - it's all over for us for this time now and nail-biting it was too !!
afruitie

Post by afruitie »

Thank you very much mynameisbond.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

Mynameisbond,

Thank you for this information.

Are you sure you don't mean the maths that is covered in year 5 at primary school?

It is just that I went to the Wilson's open evening and I understood the head to be saying that the maths test would not include anything that the boys hadn't covered in year 5 at primary school. (This made sense, bearing in mind that the boys take the test right at the beginning of year 6)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'd be interested to know this too. My impression was that it was the whole of KS2 that was tested, which would take you up to end of year 6 (however unfair that might be) . Also, I thought plenty of kids were now taken beyond into KS3 by their tutors/ parents (perhaps for the harder questions?),
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

I got the impression from the headmaster's talk last year, that they are trying to be fair to the boys who aren't tutored. He said that they no longer set the verbal reasoning test, because they realised that some boys were being tutored, so it wasn't a level playing field. For the same reason, he said they will only include in the maths and English tests, topics that are covered up to the end of year 5 on the national curriculum.

This is what I understood from the talk. Obviously, I could have been getting the wrong end of the stick.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

In the open day last year I heard the Head mention questions would be at Level 5 maths and English.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now