Holidays during University Term time

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yvonne

Holidays during University Term time

Post by yvonne »

Are university students allowed to go on holiday during term time?
ymcc
Looking for help

Re: Holidays during University Term time

Post by Looking for help »

Not sure- some universities require students to sign into lectures etc. I guess you can apply for time off, and be refused/accepted. My son had a week or two off after an operation on his knee, but had to let his tutor and the faculty know. They were very nice about it, but it was a medical thing.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Many years ago I was called up to do Jury Service during University term time and the college insisted I ask for a deferral. It was granted without any trouble so I would say that holidays during term time would be a definite no-no unless there were very pressing family circumstances.
Must admit - at the price of University education these days I would want to be around for entire term to get my money's worth!
Amber

Post by Amber »

With fees at nine grand, and terms lasting ten weeks, I intend to ensure that any of my DC who make it to to university avail themselves of every second of teaching on offer. Break down that cost to work out what each lecture must be 'worth'... Do you really want them to miss any?
Colourful-Rainbow

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

yvonne wrote:Are university students allowed to go on holiday during term time?
I think you might find the answer to that on the university website as I am not sure either. Also you might miss out on coursework deadlines, assignments and so on (it is very hard to get extensions unless it is for a very valid reason). So in short, I wouldn't advise people to go on holidays during term time. University students get long holidays anyway so maybe it could wait? Also there is reading week in each term (as far as I know) so you can go on holiday then too. I guess it also depends on the length of the holiday and what year you are in.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Break down that cost to work out what each lecture must be 'worth'... Do you really want them to miss any?
I think I had about 3 lectures/tutorials a week in my day, Amber, which was, admittedly, a few ‘days’ ago :lol: They’d be blooming precious now!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

When I was at Uni many years ago they used to take a register at every lecture. If you asked your tutor for help he was always happy to oblige unless the records said that you were not at the appropriate lecture, at which point you were in your own.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Reading Mum wrote:When I was at Uni many years ago they used to take a register at every lecture.
This happens on my Masters course. The register appears two thirds of the way through the session to ensure everyone returns after the coffee break. 80% attendance is required or it is an automatic fail of the module in question. A lecturer friend at another university is thinking of introducing it as many lectures are attended by fewer than a quarter of students, and then she finds herself with pleading emails when an assignment is due, along the lines of 'I really don't understand this subject at all.'
Colourful-Rainbow

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

Reading Mum wrote:When I was at Uni many years ago they used to take a register at every lecture. If you asked your tutor for help he was always happy to oblige unless the records said that you were not at the appropriate lecture, at which point you were in your own.
Nowadays most don't monitor attendance except for practical work! Most lecturers don't let you in though if you're later than 5 minutes because they believe if they can get in on time then so should the students.