Child's website?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samlet

Child's website?

Post by Samlet »

My DS (12) wants to set up his own website. I have told him I will think about it, but this is an aspect of the web I know nothing about.

Are there any issues which I should be aware of?

Thanks
pheasantchick

Re: Child's website?

Post by pheasantchick »

The obvious one to me is Stranger Danger. Ie. if he lets on he's 12 years old, then He may attract undesirables to his site, and he needs to ensure to h doesn't give too much personal information away
Amber

Post by Amber »

Both my sons (10 and 13) have been running their own websites for a couple of years or so. They used free web design sites which I suppose I shouldn't advertise on here but if you search 'webs' you will find them. My two suggest making sure you untick all the boxes which allow sharing with third parties, or you will be inundated with junk mail; and also to set up a separate email account (gmail are easy to use and can be easily deleted in case of unwanted mail) so it is kept separate from their other stuff. They have never disclosed their age, address, telephone number or any other personal information so the only way anyone could contact them would be via email. Neither of mine have ever had any issues with strangers or oddbods approaching them...it's probably safer than social networking (which none of us does) because you don't need to give much away and the interest is in the subject, not the person - unless he is hoping to showcase himself, in which case I would be careful. Mine both run quite unremarkable ones, subject-wise, which would not make anyone think they were children...the subject matter is not obviously childish. They have got a lot of fun out of it and love seeing how many 'hits' they have had.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Thanks both

We followed your recommendation Amber, and he has got it started. The idea is to showcase his photography which is a real interest, although he seems to be seduced by the idea of putting free games on there, which I am less keen on :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hope it works out. I think you are right to be reluctant to allow games - that will open up an entirely different 'market' from photographs (depending on what kind of photographs they are :lol: ) and you might end up with undesirables on there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now