HELP WITH TYPE K PLEASE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

HELP WITH TYPE K PLEASE

Post by Guest »

I am having a bit of a 'dim' day & can't work out the following:

( 3 [12] 24 ) ( 6 [24] 36 )

( 5 [?] 32 )

I can see that you can arrive at the answer for the 1st 2 by multiplying th 1st numbers by 4, but I thought you were meant to use both numbers either side. It would be much appreciated if anyone could throw some light on this. Many thanks. P.S. Love this Forum
patricia

Re: HELP WITH TYPE K PLEASE

Post by patricia »

Anonymous wrote:I am having a bit of a 'dim' day & can't work out the following:

( 3 [12] 24 ) ( 6 [24] 36 )

( 5 [?] 32 )
Does the marking scheme give 20?

3 x 24 = 72
72 divided by 6 [ number on the left plus 3] =12

6 x 36 = 216
216 divided by 9 [number on left plus 3] = 24

5 x 32 = 160
160 divided by 8 [number on left plus 3]= 20

From which publisher did you get this question?

Patricia
solimum

TYPE K

Post by solimum »

Actually Patricia's method actually simplifies

Could write the three numbers in the examples given as

x [4x] 4(x+3)

in other words

x [4x] 4x+12

so another way to get the middle number is to subtract 12 from the last number

I have no experience with this sort of question but it seems rather ambiguous.....

Post by Guest »

Thank you both for your replies. The answer given is 20. I'm not sure where this question came from. A friend whose child sat the 11+ a while ago passed on some question examples for us to look at - not necessarily to use but just to give us an idea of what's ahead. This one did seem particularly difficult.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

If you want more guidance on the way to tackle the questions, you could consider buying the IPS VR Technique Guide for Parents and Pupils. There is more information about it on the site bookshop - link here.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=85

It is a guide to all 21 question types that come up on the Bucks test and it is a very good starting place for the 11+.

Sally-Anne
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Guest

The example you have given is highly complex and I have not seen such a question from any of the recommended publishers of 11+ verbal reasoning material. This looks more like an adult verbal reasoning question, possibly from the civil servants entrance tests.

If the source is an 11+ publisher then they may be writing for tests that are not NFER therefore are not "K" type questions as identified by IPS.

For an example of the standard of 11+ "K" type question have a look at The Tutors free demo for CD1, question type 18. These start as single functions and then go on to double functions.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Agree this is a little harder than the norm.

Its not that long ago since Bucks transferred at 12 instead of 11. The 12 plus papers did contain more complicated questions similar to the above example.

There is a tutorial on Type K in the tips section...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=620

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Thank you all very much for your help and advice. Will have a look at the tutorial and free demos. BFN
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now