Royal Hospital School - Ipswich

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Harrysmum

Royal Hospital School - Ipswich

Post by Harrysmum »

It was suggested to me by the folks on the independent board that I post here, so here I am.

Does anyone have any opinion on RHS at ipswich? We are considering it on a day basis with the hope of a scholarship.

Thanks
Suresh

Re: Royal Hospital School - Ipswich

Post by Suresh »

Hi,
My DS did the test last week and we are seriously considering it, if things do not work out in the GS wait list as it would be a heavy financial burden even with a scholarship for me.
RHS to my research came out as an exceptionally all round development school, unlike the GS which mostly concentrates on education. My friends DS is there and he just loves it. He gave up a place at CRGS two years ago to go to RHS. My DS just fell in love with the school.
I am just holding back purely for financial reasons (to see if the GS wait list moves), or else we will accept the offer by the end of next week.
toolate

Post by toolate »

I have heard that the HM is to resign. Not sure this is public yet. But I guess it creates some risk.

I know quite a few parents of the school and they are all delighted. It is certainly a spectacular school with lots on offer and supposedly very happy kids. Clearly it doesn't have the academic credentials of the grammars, but I did hear that they got a girl into Oxbridge last year. I think they were working to bring up the academics but I don't know how this is progressing. That is my only concern.

I would also love to know more so if anyone else has some IQ please add. It is right on my doorstep so I would love to end DS there for lots of reasons.

About the boy who left CRGS to go there - do you have any more news on why? I know there is a girl who just left a grammar to go there too.

Thanks
ZuleikaD

Post by ZuleikaD »

I have a younger colleague at work who transferred from CRGS to RHS (he is 27 now). Not sure why - I think they moved. He went to Oxford and is one of the brightest people we have. If I had to pay for secondary education I think I would go for this one rather than New Hall, Brentwood or Felsted. Rather like the naval element!
Hopefully

Post by Hopefully »

I saw an advert for te Duke of York's Royal Military School in Dover in the Essex Chronicle yesterday. It gets very high results. It used to be just for the Military but now anyone can go for £9000 per year. It is a boarding school . The fees only cover the residential side as the education is free as the school is considered a state boarding school - could be another consideration. It still has a great military tradition with parades. I know many people who have children there - it is co-educational too.
ZuleikaD

Post by ZuleikaD »

Thanks for the tip - have located and cut out the advert. At times a military-style education seems very attractive given my DS's attitude to obeying orders!!!
suhana

Post by suhana »

The school offers fantastic sports facilities and has respectable academic results.It also depends what your expectations are from a secondary school and what your child would benefit from.

My son did not gain a grammar place which was my first choice. I am going for RHS and have accepted a day place. The only thing you may want to ponder over is Saturday classes. My son said that he is not phased by it as they do lessons up to 11:45 and then do sports till 15:00. We are going for it.
Hope this helps.