13+ appeal - help on bullying issues

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

beanie

13+ appeal - help on bullying issues

Post by beanie »

background information is available in the Appeals Box for the information of moderators
Etienne

Re: 13+ appeal - help on bullying issues

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Beanie, and welcome.

Our advice on non-qualification or ranking is in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will also need to argue against oversubscription:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Q&As also give advice on how to set out an appeal.

You ought to be able to insist on copies of the information you've previously requested using the Data Protection Act.
The wording in D4b could be adapted for this purpose, but you need to be crystal clear about what you want:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
beanie

Post by beanie »

Hi, Etienne

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Do you think we should obtain school reports etc regarding the bullying incidents as part of our evidence for the appeal? There has been so many incidents (they were nearly on a weekly basis in the first term), there will be a lot of reports / statements... Can we use the letter of formal complaint and some emails as evidence?

Academic performance: Can I ask the head of year for a report? I can proof that DS is bright (I think he was ranked 5th / 6th in his class - out of 32) but not sure how to proof his performance was affected by all the bullying incidents.

Beanie
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you think we should obtain school reports etc regarding the bullying incidents as part of our evidence for the appeal? There has been so many incidents (they were nearly on a weekly basis in the first term), there will be a lot of reports / statements...
Usually, the more evidence, the better.
Can we use the letter of formal complaint and some emails as evidence?
Yes.
Academic performance: Can I ask the head of year for a report?
Yes, the school can be required to provide information it possesses. See B20(c):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but just make a polite request in the first instance.
I can proof that DS is bright (I think he was ranked 5th / 6th in his class - out of 32) but not sure how to proof his performance was affected by all the bullying incidents.
That can be difficult. Was there a specific incident at the time (worse than usual)? Any signs in exercise books of a lower standard of work?

An alternative approach would be to use bullying mainly for the oversubscription part of the appeal (social reasons), and not to be too categorical about extenuating circumstances. (The new Code of Practice does not even mention extenuating circumstances!) "He may have had an 'off-day', or the frequent bullying may have affected him. Whereas individuals can sometimes cope with ongoing problems on a day to day basis, they may lose the ability to cope with extra pressure (such as an important test in unfamiliar surroundings)."
Etienne
beanie

Post by beanie »

Yes, I think the alternative approach is brilliant. I was concentrating too much on the "non-qualifications" . I'll read up more on the over subscription part and re-draft the appeal letter.

Thank you so much Etienne.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't forget the academic information - should be high level 6/ low level 7 or so for Year 9 entry.
beanie

Post by beanie »

Hi Guest55

DS has two progress reports so far from his current Grammar School. They don't show projected levels on KS3, only have X=excellent (a few), A (some), B (Many), C.....

In his Feb report, he got X in Chemistry, A's in Maths, English, French, Physics, Geography, Music and B's in Spanish, Biology, History, PE, RS, DT. I've sent a request to his head of year to provide projected level yesterday after I read your comment. Since Easter is coming up, not sure whether it will be ready for the appeal. I hope the results of the two progress reports are good enough.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry are you trying to move from one GS to another? If so then the academics are not needed.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

In Kent you have to sit an entrance test to move GS's (at least in our experience). They don't assume because your DC is in a GS that it means suitable ability to transfer believe it or not!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I can confirm that there was an entrance test.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now