Help! GCSE Subject has not enough takers! What can we do?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MarbleRun

Help! GCSE Subject has not enough takers! What can we do?

Post by MarbleRun »

DD had no probs choosing her GCSEs and miraculously we were really pleased with all the subjects she chose. (First draft was dance, art, textiles, DT, music! But she realised herself that's not going to happen!).
Now the school have said that there are not enough takers for one of her language choices so she's got to do Art instead. We're pretty outraged and so is she - but is there anything we can do about it ? I could understand if it was something obscure she'd chosen but she's been studying this for 2 years - what a waste !
Any advice very welcome........ :(
hermanmunster

Re: Help! GCSE Subject has not enough takers! What can we do

Post by hermanmunster »

I have heard of kids (and parents) stamping feet until the schools allow the language to be taught at lunchtime or after school... how many are there missing out?
MarbleRun

Post by MarbleRun »

11. They apparently need 15.
I haven't even contacted the school yet but I will tomorrow, and I've asked DD to get some phone numbers of the other parents but she's worried about making a fuss. (I'm not though!)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

golly 15 sounds a bit excessive!
reckon they should run it for 11. The case I am referring to was for 3 pupils :oops:

What subject is it?
MarbleRun

Post by MarbleRun »

I've pm-ed you to try to maintain my Secret Identity as there can't be many people in this situation who are also appealing for TWGSB for their DS!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MarbleRun wrote:I've pm-ed you to try to maintain my Secret Identity as there can't be many people in this situation who are also appealing for TWGSB for their DS!
Thanks!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Belinda wrote:Make as much noise as possible. It made a difference for us.
(We weren't the only ones... :oops: )
totally agree ... foot stamping +++ (very politely of course :wink: ) ... and what are those things?? Vuvuzelas???
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

11 should be economically viable ... did you choose from 'blocks' or have a free choice?
MarbleRun

Post by MarbleRun »

The girls had to choose from blocks, and there wasn't a lot of choice anyway - once she'd chosen her language, her arty thing and whether to do history or geography there was only one more thing - which could have been a second language, the other of hist/geog, or another arty thing. I think that's how it went anyway, I wish we'd kept all the info now.

They've been told that the Governors have decided they need 15 - can that be right? Is that what governors do??

I've asked for a meeting with the head of year, I need to get all my facts straight. Thanks for all your comments though, keep 'em coming - I know nothing and hate complaining :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now