GCSE Islamic Studies

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Paramjeet

GCSE Islamic Studies

Post by Paramjeet »

Hello, I want my child to do a GCSE in Islamic studies and I have been warned about the new syllabus of this course. Before I jump to conclusions can someone send me the broad syllabus of this course before I decide whether to enter my child on it or not.

In brief I have been advised that course has been written diluting some of the principles of Islam versus more integrationist views.

Like I said, if anyone can help with the facts then I can make an informed opinion.

Many thanks in advance
Amber

Re: GCSE Islamic Studies

Post by Amber »

Do you know which exam board is offering the course? You can look the specification up on their website if you do.
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

Found this but I don't know if this is the old or new?

http://www.ruqaiyyah.karoo.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Link on the bottom left hand column saying 'GCSE Syllabi')

I must say, looking at that the standard seems very poor. Most of it looks pretty general. I have done GCSE Islam (not in the UK) and would have expected a lot more breadth and depth.
um

Post by um »

Edexcel RS Syllabus modules 4 and 11.

Doing both modules is a full RS GCSE. Both modules are the Islamic Studies modules.

Student books for each are available from Amazon - about £12 each.
I also ordered the £72 teacher's book for module 4 but it was pretty useless to be frank so I actually sent it back to Amazon for a refund.
I have bought Examining Religions - Islam by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood as a supplementary book.

It is all pretty straightforward. I did RE A level (Christianity/Islam) so have some understanding of the skills/exam answers that are needed.

Ds1's school have been supportive, saying they will book him for the exams (but only if he gets an A or A* :shock: !) and the RE teacher has said she will give me some materials too.

I wouldn't say the standard is poor. Certainly, a good standard of English and a mature level of thinking, is required.
I like the way it encourages students to look at Islam with a 'contemporary' eye and link its teachings to the modern world that we live in.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Thanks long journey, information is very very useful.

Not sure this is for us now.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Might be worth having a look at some of the options for the RS modules - seem to be a wide range now and can be useful looking at comparative religions.
Also the work on philosophy and ethics seems useful for other topics when some concentrated thinking needed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now