Which is the best approach?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11+parents

Which is the best approach?

Post by 11+parents »

Our DC has been receiving group tutoring and after a month we have found there is hardly any progress been made, so its turning out to be a homework club. We have also attended a session with a private tutor but felt the tutor was money hungry and lacked a positive attitude. We have also heard private tutors can be off track and use old material with repetition. There are so many factors to consider, i.e. qualified teachers, up to date material, correct study approach and so on.
Now we have only six month (or less) left and we are not sure what to do? If we diy, we are not confident we can cover everything and don't want to take any risks at this late stage.
Please recommend the best course of action? :?
We are aiming for bucks schools.
Sally-Anne

Re: Which is the best approach?

Post by Sally-Anne »

It really isn't that difficult to DIY for the Bucks test - Patricia gives excellent advice on how to do so here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our DC has been receiving group tutoring and after a month we have found there is hardly any progress been made, so its turning out to be a homework club. We have also attended a session with a private tutor but felt the tutor was money hungry and lacked a positive attitude.
Yes, both of these can be issues, I'm afraid.
We have also heard private tutors can be off track
The 21 types of question in the Bucks test can be found here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... t-a-glance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If a tutor is teaching any other question types they don't know what they are doing.

There is general advice on choosing a tutor here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/11plus-tutors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will move this thread to the Bucks section for you because you will get more response there, and I am also sending you a PM (Private Message).

Sally-Anne
MrsH173015

Post by MrsH173015 »

Hi 11+ Parents

I'm in Bucks and have a son who thankfully passed his 11+ last Autumn. First of all, don't panic! 6 months is still plenty of time. He didn't start tutoring until 6 months before and nor did the vast majority of his friends. Equally, don't worry too much if it all seems a bit slow to start with - in my experience the courses do pick up pace as they go along. However, Sally-Anne is right - you need to make sure your tutor is au fait with the Bucks 11+ system and teaching to that exam. Have a look at all her links. I would recommend you speak to parents who have children in the current Year 6 who will be able to talk to you about their experiences of local tutors. In terms of tutoring yourself - I think if you have a child who is receptive to a parent teaching them and you have the time to do it, then it can be done. Personally, my boy would not have taken any tuition from me!! Only you can know that. Also, I do know parents who chose to home tutor and when their children didn't pass they beat themselves up pretty badly, so do consider how you would feel (that said don't forget we don't know if they would have passed with a tutor either!! :) ). Please try not to feel too overwhelmed - you do still have time to research your options. Good luck!
andyb

Post by andyb »

Neither DS1 nor DS2 received any private tutoring. I bought some suggested material and went through it with them from the January of Y5. DS1 did a paper about once a week and DS2 started off at once a week and then decided he could do it so only did about 8 in total :roll: . They both understood the methods after the first couple of sessions and the only practice they needed was to get up to speed and to learn not to fall into the traps. DS1 is now in Y9 at RGS and DS2 starts there in September, so it is a complete myth that a child needs extensive tutoring to pass.

Too much coaching/tutoring/practice (whatever you want to call it) to pass the test can be counter-productive as the child may then find that they can't cope at GS and tutoring for the next 7 years could get rather expensive :wink: .
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Hi

The key is don't panic. There must be something about this time of year as my DS sat last year and I recall thinking at Easter we need to get our act together. We then started to work more seriously from after the Easter hols. There is loads of time left and if you push them too hard they get bored by the time you get there in Oct.

I thought of it like training for a marathon, you wouldn’t go out today and try and run 26 miles, you have a plan that builds up to it and you want to be at your peak at the right time. If you make a plan you will feel more in control. there are loads of good postings to help but for me it was learning vocab, stick a word of the day on the fridge and learn the spelling and meaning, one a day is a lot of words over 6 months!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now