Entrance to Reading Boys School in Berks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confusedmum0104

Entrance to Reading Boys School in Berks

Post by confusedmum0104 »

Hi

My son is due to sit the exam fro Reading Boys Grammer School later this year, but i am totally confused by the whole requirement and what qualifies as entry pass marks? Is it purely on the results or is it then based on postcode, feeder school etc.....
If someone could clear the situation up as i have no idea and wonder what the results equate to? if my son is working at a level 5a, would that be enough at this point in time?
Would really not want him to waste his time if he isn't up to the levels required?!
Thanks millions in advance for any help or advice :D
Reading Mum

Re: Entrance to Reading Boys School in Berks

Post by Reading Mum »

I don't know about levels but the admission criteria is quite explicit on the website. 1st Sen, then in care, then those living in designated area, then those not in DA. Within each of the 4 categories score is used to order the boys. It's unlikely that out of DA will get a look in. It's a standardised score - you probably need to be getting 90% plus to get a place but level 5a seems a good basis for that.
No such concept as a feeder school - it's all about your home postcode
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Steve will undoubtedly be along soon with more detailed info - I only have a DD
confusedmum0104

Post by confusedmum0104 »

Thanks loads for your help!
xx
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

confusedmum0104 wrote: if my son is working at a level 5a, would that be enough at this point in time?
That is a good starting point as Reading write their own exams and claim they are based on KS2.

For Maths and English exams you need to be aware of all KS2 topics and work on the commercially available 11plus papers. The exam may focus on specific areas.

The reasoning paper may be VR or NVR or a mix, so again you need to prepare for both. In recent years they have contained many of the loved or loathed z-type information questions.

The raw pass mark is probably around 85% plus, very hard to score higher on three moving target papers.

Do some prep see how it goes.

Have a look at old Reading and Kendrick threads below, the exams are different, lots of feedback scattered around.