Is this normal these days?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
littlebaker

Is this normal these days?

Post by littlebaker »

I may be really out of touch but I just discovered that my local 'outstanding' state secondary school runs regular evenings for parents to learn things like : how to use drama to communicate with your child, how to deal with friendships at school and how to effectively respond to your child :shock: . I have to say I was surprised to find that the school felt they had the resources/time and experience to 'teach' such things to parents. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but this is basic parenting and, if you find it hard, is a large public meeting at your child's school really the place to find the answer? Reason for mentioning this is that I wondered if the Glouc GS felt it their duty to run similar sessions or whether they concentrated on educating and supporting the children instead? Please tell me it's the latter.
pheasantchick

Re: Is this normal these days?

Post by pheasantchick »

I've heard about similar courses being run in infant schools, but not in senior schools. Surely these sorts of topics would be best introduced at a younger age. They are not just senior school issues.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think there was some funding supplied at some point for schools to provide adult education - some do maths, the local school does GCSE Astronomy etc etc

Agree re the teaching of basic parenting but some people just really don't get it, the kids should come with some sort of instruction manual :roll:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I get where people are coming from. However, I think it's quite a sad sign of the times that it is necessary to be teaching this sort of thing to parents, but I believe that in some cases it is. There's no point being a sausage factory that turns out bright pupils if the kids aren't then supported/understood (as much as we all can!) at home. Some kids are at a real disadvantage by having a not-so-great homelife and if there can be some way of improving it for them, then I think it's OK. Not everyone is cut out to be a parent and some parents didn't have fantastically capable parents themselves, so the cycle needs to be broken somehow. I usually moan about my taxes being spent on this, that and the other, but in this case I don't mind. Just my opinion.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I know of a primary that does this sort of thing and I think it's a very good idea. I agree with Stressed, Moi? that, whilst sadly necessary, at least it is an attempt to help the parents who, for whatever reason, lack in some areas (mind you to a greater or lesser extent, don't we all?!!)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I think it's a good idea, really. Not all parents are 'natural' ones, in that many just muddle through with a vague thought at the back of their minds that they could be doing it better.

Stroud High does include a talk on IT safety in one of the parents meetings, which we found of no use whatsoever - but I'm sure there were parents who did need the information offered. They also gave a talk on 'Positive Mindsets' and how to encourage your children which we did find useful but which may well have been old news to other parents.

If the school mentioned give just some parents better skillsets to cope with their children, that could mean the school has to spend less time with the children sorting out the problems - so money well spent.
Capers
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

'Care for the Family' Parent Courses are run in many schools in Gloucestershire by qualified Volunteers. These courses generally prepare parents for what's to come and how best to support children. It's a shame people attach a stigma to parent courses because the material is fantastic. There's always something that can improve family relationships and communication, whether it's helping your kids make good choices by mitigating risk factors with protective factors, or just learning to interpret grunts in the teenage years while not taking it personally! I think it is very insightful of schools to offer these opportunities. Anything that can reduce the stress on students and their parents has got to be good.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Think these are a great idea, but can't help feeling that the parents who would benefit most are the ones that wouldn't be at the meeting...
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

stroudydad wrote:Think these are a great idea, but can't help feeling that the parents who would benefit most are the ones that wouldn't be at the meeting...
Sadly this is true. :( But the fact remains that most parents have something in their family relationships that they would like time to consider, and on small group parent courses it's good to have space to think about your options and what's important, or even just to hear 'you're not alone'. :)
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

to hear you're not alone
that's why I come on here :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now