just strarting out on the 11+ journey....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nwc95

just strarting out on the 11+ journey....

Post by nwc95 »

Hi there

My son is in year 4 and we have been starting to do some questions with him.

The school he goes to don't seem very interested in the 11+ and we have to opt in for the training - they have an after school club once a week (if it's on!). But I've been talking to people whose children go to other local primaries where 11+ training is part of the curriculum and every child in the class takes it. I've spoken to several schools and one stands out as being ideal as they actively work towards the 11+ and get good pass rates.

As we are in the fortunate position of living near 2 grammar schools we would like to give him the best opportunity of passing without pushing him by having to arrange additional tutoring.

So now we are in the dilema of "do we move him to a different school?"

Does anyone have experience of this or could offer an opinion?

Guest55

Re: just strarting out on the 11+ journey....

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome!

It might help us advise you if we knew roughly whereabouts you live ie which LA.

If you scroll down there are section for different part of the country.
nwc95

Post by nwc95 »

Hi

We live in Lincolnshire. Does this make a difference?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The 11+ is not standard across the country.

i will move your request to the Lincolnshire section of the forum, you may get more help there.

yoyo
guest799

Post by guest799 »

Hi,
I don't know which area of Lincolnshire you are in, the test the children take is either part of the Lincolnshire consortium or set by the individual school. Where I live only the children who register for the test take it and they sit it at the grammar school on two Saturdays in September.

The state primary's don't help prepare the children, however they do let them sit one practice paper. My dd began preparing at this time in year 5.

I would advise not to start too early as children get fed up with the process and they soon pick up the question types. All they need to know is how to answer each question type they will find on the paper. Doing too much preparation can have a negative effect as they switch off. Reading and extending vocabulary will help in Year 4.

Personally I would not change school just for 11 plus prep, if your child is happy at school and making progress then just support them yourself or if you don't feel able pay for a tutor, just get a recommendation from someone who's child passed and goes to to the school you want. Ask a nice parent with a child in the older years at your primary, in my experience parents are happy to share information - its not competitive for places here so may be different where you are!

I hope this helps others may have more information for you, it may help if you name the schools you are interested in.
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

I'm in Nottinghamshire but wanted my son to go to one of the Lincs grammar schools and am proud to say he got into our first choice which is Kings at Grantham.
We started preparing after Christmas of year 5. Our primary school is anti 11+ and would do nothing to support it. We had a private tutor for an hour a week for about 8 months before the exams in September. As has already been said, too much practice can have a negative effect, with just a relatively small amount of tutoring we ended up doing nothing during the school holidays as he was just too bored to concentrate. I also think if they are over tutored now, they may find it hard keeping up if they get into the school. Personally I wouldn't change primary purely for 11+, if they are happy where they are and you have the time to spend an hour or so practice with them once or twice a week, then he will be fine. After all, they are only practising the technique.
Now I've been through the process and come out the side, I appreciate its much easier to be objective. Good luck with whichever route you choose. At the end of the day, you must do what is right for you and your family. :D
Which schools are you hoping for?
nwc95

Post by nwc95 »

Hi
We would be aiming for Carres in Sleaford or Kings in Grantham. We live between the two so we think it makes sense to give DS a chance to take it.
I've spoken to a few parents locally about how their children got on. Our village school only enters them for the exam if you have registered and very few children pass - three last year. They have an after school club preparing them for it but the teachers aren't "pro-11+" at all.
The primary in the next village enter all their children each year and nearly all pass each year. They spend an afternoon each week during year 5 preparing and the school is very pro-11+.
DS is doing well at school and we would love to give him the opportunity to go to a grammar, but we can't really afford private tuition. Some of the local parents have paid out for it and their children failed. My attitude is that if he's good enough and gets the right support at school and at home he should be able to pass without additional tuition.
I see the point about not pushing them too much, which is why I think maybe the other local primary would include the practice within normal class time, so the extra work at home wouldn't be too overwhelming for him.
If we decided it would be the right thing to move schools then it would be better to do it in readiness for him starting year 5 in September - which is why I've posted this question so early.
Thanks for you comments and thoughts...... :)
guest799

Post by guest799 »

Hi

I have always been lead to believe that it's against the rules for any state primary to coach the 11 plus as you describe.

I guess I must be wrong! I can only say that I am not aware of any state primary's in my area that do this.

I can totally understand your thinking, it sounds very unfair that some children are being given this support at school and others not.

I guess if this is the case and you are 100% sure (the school confirms it) I would think about moving school to! and as you say the sooner you move the better for getting settled and making new friends.

good luck to you whatever you decide.
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Sadly you are quite correct nwc - there is one particular school in the area you mention known for it's intensive coaching and yes, most kids do pass. However the downside is that many of them then struggle at the Grammar/High school...not a good position for them or the children whose rightful :( places they took! :(
nwc95

Post by nwc95 »

Thanks for your replies.
Lainey, you obviously know the school concerned, and I too am aware that some children end up at Carres and Sleaford High who would have been going to other schools if they had been to a different primary. I can sympathise that they take places which other children should rightfully have won. If I didn't believe DS was capable of passing I wouldn't even be considering moving schools. But I don't have the money to pay for private tuition, I don't really consider myself adequate to teach him at home, and (if there are places available) there is a suitable alternative nearby.
Living near Grantham and Sleaford we are in the fortunate position of having quite a choice of grammar schools, so I can't understand why other local primaries seem so reluctant to work towards the 11+. I realise the National Curriculum has to cater for the whole country, but where there is a chance available for children to realise their potential at a grammar, then I think local primary schools should help them to do so.
Having been to a single primary school myself, I'm wondering what the impact of moving a child is in this day and age? My husband went to various primaries because his dad was in the services and his education suffered as a result. So I'm concerned about making the right decision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now