Susan Daughtrey VR type 27

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Susan Daughtrey VR type 27

Post by Reading Mum »

These are the ones with calculations where you have to fill in the missing digits. DD is really struggling with handling the carried numbers and the technique explanation is very light on this one. Has anyone seen this covered better elsewhere
Orson

Re: Susan Daughtrey VR type 27

Post by Orson »

These don't appear in the Glos. test.
Are you sure they appear in yours?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

No - no past papers ever published. I just got pointed at SD as a good source of prep
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

You need to check what your area covers. In our county they use the 21 types plus extras found in SD etc, so we need to cover to be prepared. Type 27 doesnt have a IPS equivalent, so if your area only picks from the 21, then you are wasting time on this type.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We don't have an area - just 1 school we are aiming at who get a custom exam written for them by GL (formerly NFER) and it could have any of the 35 types I believe. Past papers are not available so all info is based on what previous DDs remember and pass on to their parents. I think we will just leave this one for now and move on, hoping that it doesn't come up.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

We had problems with this question type. I found I couldn't work through the given method with DD for the subtraction sums but had to teach myself the method given (it is very non-intuitive) and then guide DD through it.

It is on my list of question types we need to come back to. Adding, multiplying and dividing seem straightforward using the given methods.

For the subtraction sums I think we will rewrite them as an addition, takes time but seems to work.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Thanks Steve - glad its not just me and DD :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now