11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TP

grammer schools in berkshire / bucks

Post by TP »

hi

i am a parent living in reading, berks

i am new to this 11+ system and my kids a long way off from taking them

my question is this ;

how many children apply to reading and kenderic school every year and how many are offered a place

the same question goes to the 3 gramer schools in slough area Herschel Grammar School, Langley Grammar School and St Bernard’s Catholic Grammar School

i am curious to find out if its 'statistically' easier for reading or slough area

... or do parents apply to both areas and even to the bucks grammer schools
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi TP,
I haven't got the exact figures, but the pass rate for the Slough grammars is said by the grammars to be roughly 25%. It is around 30%+ in Bucks. Many parents apply for both Bucks and Slough schools, and also for the three areas, Reading Bucks and Slough.

I don't know the Reading system well, but I am sure that someone elese will give you the info soon

Catherine
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi TP,

If you register you may get some info. via PM ( private message ).

The information is buried on another thread, even I could not find it, :) and I recall discussing numbers with Bewildered.

Reading about 400 last year for the 112 day places, but bear in mind the ten mile catchment. Kendrick even more competitive about 600 for 93 places.. The figures are published in the Guide to Moving to Secondary School on Reading Borough Council website from about September.

The numbers have varied in recent years. You asked, on another thread, for fist hand experience of Crosfields, they are very good at supporting pupils in Reading entrance exams. It is good to start planning early but concentrate on lots of reading, you can not expand a childs vocab. in the months before the exam.

The lessons I learnt last year with son one I am now applying to son two and daughter three. :shock:

stevew61
TP

Post by TP »

thanks Catherine

so the top 25% and 30 % are offered a place in their respective areas

i was under the impression (as a newby) to have any chance in gaining a grammer school place a child had to be exceptional - for example a primary school may have 30 children applying and only 1 child getting a place .... so the stats would be more like 1/30 or top 3%

or am i getting confused .... 25% / 30% may pass but due to numbers only the top 3% of these get a place ?

if 1000 (not a far out figure) children appplied to a paticular grammer school i can only see 100 (or 1%) being offered a place as this would be the normal no of intakes
TP

Post by TP »

thanks stevew61

so i was way out with the no of applications to RGS !

so 100/400 makes 25% ish

i guess of the 400 apply most are exceptional students - otherwise they would not be asked to apply by their primary schools .... or can anybody apply ?

so i guess my argument would be , at an average primary school, no more than 1 or 2 children would be offered a place at thier local grammer

i'm just trying to get a feel how difficult the process is ! ... especially if your child attends a state primary school

i suppose the numbers would be much higher with independant schools ..
TP

Post by TP »

hi,

i have now registered for pm
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

TP,

The thought process that you are going through are similar to my experience last year. Hard facts are hard to come by so a lot of the information is gossip, based on some facts. :(

Last September at Reading school open evening they reeled off some statistics about the previous years exam results. Intake 112 from seventy different schools, thirty five boys the only boy from their school ( state? ). I came away with the impression that about half the places went to boys from independent schools.

Anybody can apply. I do not wish to put any one off before they start, it is worth doing the work even if you do not get a place, but I would estimate for Reading you need to be in the top 5% of the general population on the day, Kendrick a bit harder. :shock:

The "top" state primary in Reading gets on average six to eight boys a year out of thirty an offer of a place. This year the gossip says six, a nearby independent with nine boys, six sat and three eventually got offers ( one worked his way up the boarding waiting list )

Final Hint.....................register. :D

stevew61
mum

Post by mum »

does grammar school success specially the tough ones like for Reading Boys or Kendrick really depend on which primary school (state) the child goes to or its more on the intelligence of the child and the parents/home attitude? Primary schools (good or bad) are more or less limited by the national curriculum syllabus, isn't it......and I believe thats not of much help for these 11+ selection exams!
That's what I believe.........i might be wrong :(
mum
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

TP,

Posts crossed, I am a slow typer. Have sent you a PM.

Beware of the deranged people in Rehab. :D

stevew61
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

mum wrote:does grammar school success specially the tough ones like for Reading Boys or Kendrick really depend on which primary school (state) the child goes to or its more on the intelligence of the child and the parents/home attitude? Primary schools (good or bad) are more or less limited by the national curriculum syllabus, isn't it......and I believe thats not of much help for these 11+ selection exams!
That's what I believe.........i might be wrong :(
Mum,

I agree. However if the school can develope the English and Maths to a high standard then you have less to do at home. :) . A school with smaller class sizes that coaches for the 11plus will boost your chances. A bright child with supportive parents can do equally well.

stevew61
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now