Travel to Tiffin Boys from Sept 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

VJKV

Travel to Tiffin Boys from Sept 2012

Post by VJKV »

Guys

We are looking for mini bus / Cab Share service from Sudbury hill to Tiffin boys. Please can you advice. We have found below number but they need 6-7 childeren. Apart from this , if you have any other options then please let me know or PM me.

Olympia Service Number is 07508322172

Many Thanks - VjKV
tiffinboys

Re: Travel to Tiffin Boys from Sept 2012

Post by tiffinboys »

Looks like a wake-up call for Tiffins Governors....
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
onthego

Post by onthego »

VjKV

Travel from Sudbury Hill would be a challenge.

I'm sure you have already considered this, but moving, ideally, to Kingston or to a location on a sensible bus route or train line, ie within 50 minutes or so commute of the school, would probably be easier.
Last edited by onthego on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VJKV

Post by VJKV »

Thanks for reply.. Yes, we are looking that option for next year once our 2nd one complete his test.. Also I have travel now atlist 5-7 time to school and it take me 45-50 Mints via car, so I think Cab share / Mini bus will be good to start with, thus checking out , if we found more boys in this area for this school.

onthego wrote:VjKV

Travel from Sudbury Hill would be a challenge.

I'm sure you have already considered this, but moving, ideally to Kingston, or to a location on a sensible bus route or train line, ie within 50 minutes or so commute of the school, would probably be easier.
VJKV

Post by VJKV »

Agree, but not ONLY Tiffins Governors, but all the Governors in respective area to build a good grammar school in each region.
tiffinboys wrote:Looks like a wake-up call for Tiffins Governors....
pudding34

Post by pudding34 »

I think 45/50 minutes is wildly optimistic during morning rush hour. It will take one snarl up at one of the traffic hotspots around your route: A40, Hangar Lane, M4, Kew Bridge, not to mention Kingston one way system itself to make your childs journey a very long one indeed.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@VJKV

Governors don't build the Schools... It's the LA or the Government who could do that and you may like to get in touch with your LA. But I agree that every borough should have grammars or good schools at par with grammars (like Parmiters/Watford), so that children do not have to make enormous travel to reach their school.

At the same time, I also hope that Tiffins have distance or reasonable catchment policy, just like most other grammar schools, e.g. Langley.

Why should Kingston bear all the load because areas as far away as Harrow doesn't have grammar schools or some one live in the catchment of one grammar and pass their test as well, but still find Tiffin more glamorous? After all, Kingston has just one small grammar school each for boys & girls.

Or why not all grammars should be open selective, so that Kingston children also get level playing field.

Edit:

Sorry, forgot to congratulate you and your son. Marvellous achievement, indeed.
Thanks to Suzanne for reminding that.

It's just that I want the School governors to realize the effect of 100% open selection policy.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Hi

Congratulations to your son for gaining a much sought after place at Tiffin School.

Public transport is always encouraged as boys need often to stay late at school or attend Saturday sporting activities, such as football, rugby and rowing. They also like to meet up with friends at the weekends or school holidays.

I think your best bet is as follows:

06.52 Sudbury Hill Underground Station - take the Piccadilly Line towards Cockfosters

07.06 Ealing Common Underground station - take the district line towards Dagenham East underground station

07.23 Turnham Green Underground Station - take the district line towards Richmond

07.32 Richmond Station take the 65 bus from stop E towards Kingston

08.06 arrive in Kingston.

I would practice the journey several times beforehand. There are planned engineering works at the moment so maybe wait until these are completed.
cakemummy

Post by cakemummy »

@ VJKV - What are you going to do if your son is taken ill or has an emergency?

Irrespective of whether a school has catchment area or not, there has to be some basic common sense applied to how children are supposed to get themselves to and from the school. I'm shocked at the number of people who apply for these schools and only when they've been allocated a place start to ask these questions. Isn't this what should also be taken into account when initially considering the schools? I'm an adult who has to commute over 2 hours a day to get to and from work. I find this tiring especially if I've had a long day or need to continue working when I get home. I can't imagine what it must be like for a child.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

I suspect it would be best to ask the school directly if they have other children making a similar journey and, if so, request that they pass on your phone number to those families. They cannot divulge personal information but I am sure it would be possible to confirm if any others are coming from that direction and to pass on your details with your permission.

It must be a very tricky decision to make and I am sure you have good reasons for making it. The long journey and the fact that there is no sibling criteria for your younger child would have been major drawbacks to many people. The journey is feasible (as many London journeys are) but it is only fine when all the trains or roads are O.K. It only need delays on one line or a cancelled service and suddenly it becomes pretty awful. As an example, many of the bus routes around Kingston are on divert right now because several roads are closed. Just getting through to Surbiton yesterday took ages and that's without the term time traffic. The sheer number of changes involved increases the chances of something going awry and Tiffins, like all the Grammars, is not sympathetic to journey difficulties when enforcing punctuality. Conscientious children tend to want the security of an easier journey so that they do not have to worry about detentions and punishments at school.

As a general comment (not aimed at VJKV): when parents fill out the form few will know which school might offer their child a place. It therefore seems quite remote and abstract and more like a wish list really. That uncertainty won’t improve much under the new system because far more will continue to pass than can ever be accommodated at these schools. Until March, it is impossible to tell where your child will be allocated. The tricky part is to imagine beyond the joy of being allocated a certain school, imagine beyond how well that school might suit a child’s needs and instead imagine the fact that they will be making that journey everyday, at very busy times of the day, for 7 years in all weathers. In Kingston an additional local consideration is the new school being planned that will vastly increase school time traffic and overload the already very full buses and roads. Parents from further away do not always have the inside knowledge on just how packed the number 65 bus gets or how painfully slow the roads are when the traffic seizes up due to Christmas shopping for the whole of December. Lots of journeys that look perfectly possible on paper are in fact horrendous in the reality of rush hour.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now