Does DS need to take Physics?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gercha

Does DS need to take Physics?

Post by Gercha »

Hi everyone, some advice would be appreciated:

My DS was confident that he had chosen his A level options for September: Double Maths, Geography and Economics (A2) then Art at AS.

He then decided he'd quite like to look at architecture as a career and thinks he may now need to take physics. He knows that he will need some sort of art portfolio for university so Art is a definite and Maths is his stongest subject so maths is also a definite but he is now undecided between Geography, Economics and Physics and which level to do them at. If he took physics at AS level is this enough or would Physics and Double Maths at A2 be a huge amount of work (this is mainly my concern)!!

He is a very bright boy at a superselective who is very self motivated but is confused as what to do for the best.

Has anyone had the same dilemma?
Guest55

Re: Does DS need to take Physics?

Post by Guest55 »

He needs to get on the UCAS site and check course requirements.

He might find http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; useful too.
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Many thanks Guest55 - will take a look.
aargh

Post by aargh »

When I went for Architecture I was advised to take Physics, but that was 30 years ago. Things may have changed
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Thanks aargh - it looks like he'll probably be taking physics now, he just needs to decide which other one to drop.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

DD did both Maths and Physics at A2 and found that there was a certain amount of overlap between the two, particularly for the Maths Mechanics syllabus. I don't know whether that is still the case, but might be worth investigating.
Marylou