Might be a silly question

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jehan

Might be a silly question

Post by Jehan »

..but I am completely new to it all. If my son passes the 11+ test, then that still doesn't mean he will get a place, is this correct? He will be ranked in order with all of those others who have passed the test and there will be a certain threshold established? Apart from marks, how is the ranking order established- is it done by proximity to the school? I cannot find anything about this in the Admissions booklet published by the school- Lancaster Royal Grammar. Please help if you can as I am lost in this awful maze.

Jehan
hermanmunster

Re: Might be a silly question

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Jehan and welcome, don't worry there are never any silly questions here!

LRGS has a catchment area - there is a map somewhere... will track it down. basically if you are in the patch, pass the test and put the school first on the CAF then there is a v good chance of place... problem comes if you live out of catchment and then it goes on score. Whereabouts do you live?

edit: map here.. http://www.lrgs.org.uk/sites/default/fi ... ea-map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit again: Priority is given to the sons of parents living within the boundaries of the Administrative City of Lancaster (see catchment area map above) and all those from this area who reach the qualifying standards are offered places. The remaining dayboy places (out of 112 total) are then allocated to qualifiers from outside this area: where there are more qualifiers than residual places a further selection is needed.
Jehan

Post by Jehan »

That is really helpful. Thank you! I feel so lost. What would happen in a situation, say, where maybe 300 took the exam, there are 112 places, and let's say 150 pass. If the whole 150 are from the catchment area, then how do they decide who gets in? Is it ranked order acc to score? And, if several boys get a similar score, then how do they differentiate? I am just trying to understand all this and I feel like I have so many questions. I live in Bowerham, so right in the catchment area. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Jehan wrote:That is really helpful. Thank you! I feel so lost. What would happen in a situation, say, where maybe 300 took the exam, there are 112 places, and let's say 150 pass. If the whole 150 are from the catchment area, then how do they decide who gets in? Is it ranked order acc to score? And, if several boys get a similar score, then how do they differentiate? I am just trying to understand all this and I feel like I have so many questions. I live in Bowerham, so right in the catchment area. Thanks
I suspect that demographically that just doesn't happen (same here in Skipton). They know how many kids are in the birth cohort for the year in the catchment - doesn't vary hugely from year to year. Then the pass mark will be set and they will take a proportion - usually something like 15-25% - whatever is set for the school. You are never going to get 50% being eligible for a place.

I talked to the school once about the admissions and the upshot is that what it says on the website is true - if they pass and are in catchment (which fortunately you are :D ) then they are in... of course the sting in the tail is that they do have to pass and it may only be that 15% pass ..I am not sure of the cut off level.
Jehan

Post by Jehan »

I really appreciate your help. Thank you. I feel a little better about it all now as I was panicking so much. It is amazing how emotional all this makes you feel. The stakes are high for us as we know that this school would be the very best for him and we don't want him to lose out on a place.
Jehan

Post by Jehan »

One more question- I've been reading on this site all about the different question types for VR tests- talk of HIKNOS and that kind of thing. How do I know the question types which are tested in Lancaster?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are some sample questions on the website

http://www.lrgs.org.uk/sites/default/fi ... papers.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also might be worth having a look in the lancashire and Cumbria section of the forum as some other people who have done the exams may mention useful resources in their postings:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you could also contact some of the parents via private message to see if they have any info - also you could post in the Lancashire / Cumbria forum